Helm location--why

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Over the years I see that most sport boats, cruisers, even dual console offshore boats etc, old or new, most every boat, has the steering/helm station to the right side. Kind of odd for a country that puts the driver position to the left side in autos. But then, most center consoles mount the steering wheel on the LEFT side of the center console. Weird.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Helm location--why

Going to a wild stab here and say it's because we are accustomed to using our right hand for controls no matter which side the wheel is on.

But, I'm sure that's the wrong answer.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well the common opinion I have heard is to counter act prop torque,also aux. outboards are usually mounted to the port side. now why this is so is a mystery to me, the tiller handle on most outboards is also on the port side,it would make more sense to mount them on the starboard side.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Had to edit. I meant right hand. I might need to back to shoes with L and R on the toes. However when I got those on bacwards my whole day was screwed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

dan t, hit it on the head. prop torque, throws the port side down, drivers weight counters this.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

In the old, old days, the "steering board" (rudder) was located on the right side of a vessel. This, if I'm not mistaken is where the term "starboard" came from.
Also, in a crossing situation, the boat on the right has the 'right of way' and therefore is the 'stand on' vessel. I believe that sitting on the right side of the boat "can" limit visibility to the left, depending on the plane of the vessel. Likewise, if the helm was on the left (some are), visibility to the right could be limited. Therefore, to provide the best visibility to observe a vessel who has the right of way, the helm should be on the right. This is of course, just my take on the situation. I could be wrong, but this viewpoint seems to be logical.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think prop torque would matter that much? Center consoles do put the helm to port, just side consoles to starboard?

This is practice seems more common since the 1970's in mass produced boats. Before that, not so much?

Attachments

• 1952 Century Speedster.jpg
    1952 Century Speedster.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

also aux. outboards are usually mounted to the port side. now why this is so is a mystery to me, the tiller handle on most outboards is also on the port side,it would make more sense to mount them on the starboard side.

Actually dan, my boat has a swim ladder mounted on the port side so I had to put my kicker on the starboard side. Not to bore you but let me just say that I have found a number of reasons why it really needs to be on the port side! The tiller handle hits my main motor, the steering linkage to tie an EZ steer onto is on the wrong side, and if going out solo I'd want the kicker on the opposite side as me to weight balance. I really wish my swim ladder weren't there but it puts a lot of hole in the hull I don't want to have to fill and recreate on the other side.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Modern boat design, like many things, has its roots based on history.

Back in the old days, before powerboats, the captain steered his sailboat (or rowboat, such as Vikings longboats) from the right side, as most folks are predominantly right-handed. The captain also navigated from this helm position, often using his sextant to gauge the stars at night. Thus, the right-hand side of the boat became known as the "steering board", and later as "starboard".

Since the helm was positioned on the right-hand side of the boat, this left the left-hand side of the boat with an empty space in which to carry cargo. The boat would arrive at port with that side of the boat to the dock so that cargo could be easily loaded/unloaded. Thus, the left-hand side of the boat became known as "port".

As boats became more numerous, there arose the need for traffic rules. Since the captain/helm was on the starboard side, maritime rules were developed to take advantage of this fact. Hence, the captain is able to see other boats on his right and is able to "give way", whereas with highly-stacked cargo on the port side, a captain may not see boats on his port side, so he has the "right-of-way". Green and red lighting then followed suit in this manner. These rules also formed the basis for land-based traffic rules which came much later. This is why you "give way" or "yield" to the person on your right (right-of-way) when you meet at right angles at an unmarked intersection in your car/truck.

Later, as motorboats came into existance, the engineers, realizing that in an empty boat most of the weight is concentrated at the helm (starboard side), designed engines and props to rotate in a clockwise fashion (when viewed from the rear of the boat), so that prop torque would be somewhat cancelled by the weight of the helm. As you know, or at least now realize, counter-clockwise rotating props were/are designed to counteract prop torque in twin-engine setups.

Now, why were there some LH-steering boats out there? These became popular after WWII, when the country (USA, that is) prospered, people had money, and manufacturers wanted to get people into boats. The easiest way, they figured, was to configure the boat much like an automobile, so that new boaters would not be intimidated. A typical case where marketing dominated over "form follows function", and resulted in boats that likely performed below what they optimally could have.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have come to believe the above and that prop torque led to right hand props, so kind of backwards. Since standard engine rotation is opposite it would make more sens to have left hand props and port helms, but due to history and the rules of the road visibility issue, it was easier to use right hand props than switch every body over to the port side. I also believe that right handedness plays a roll as people tend to use their right hands.

Port helms were popular here with jet drives and a throttle pedal. Mounting a pedal against the hull is difficult while putting it thew middle where we are used to them in our cars played a role in that.

My diatribe is speculation based on a lot of reading.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

interesting thread and opinions, always wondered this myself, never would have thought up the prop torque logic in my wildest dreams... I thought it had something to do with right of way - much like in a when you drive in north america, the car on your left (oncoming traffic) vs you.... you both are kind of steering clear of each other in a sense... In the boat, you are steering clear of the stand on vessel, but if you were to pass each other you would technically be the equiivalent of 2 left side drive cars, except you're two starboard sided vessels.. wow, I made no sense with this comment.. lol