My dream boat project starts

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok...this is at least my 3rd dream boat project, but it's the biggest so far!
I did some creative swapping and ended up with a 1996 SeaArk MV2472 with a 1997 Mariner 140 Jet Drive outboard (200hp V6 factory rigged as a jet).
She was originally purchased with a wood floor option, and a center console, fuel cell within the console.
The floor was rotten, and the previous owner had removed 50% of the floor before I acquired her.
The engine runs fine, but will be treated to a carb rebuild, and removal of the oil injection system.
Here's how she looked when I got her home.
seaarkproject005.jpg

seaarkproject006.jpg

seaarkproject009.jpg

Day 2...she's all but gutted.
seaarkproject016.jpg

Day 4...engine comes off and is mounted to a stand that I slapped together.
seaarkproject023.jpg

Hull gets flipped, screw holes that used to hold a rear splash guard and misc. doo-dads get welded and ground smooth.
seaarkproject018.jpg

Flipped hull is loaded back onto the trailer so that it can be moved out of the way easily. 2 bottom side cracks will be welded, and new paint applied before putting her back to right side up.

lknlover

Cadet
Re: My dream boat project starts

If this was posted in 2005 - did the project ever get completed? ANyone ever see the boat completed? I just bought a similar looking boat and plan to re- do the floors this FALL

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If this was posted in 2005 - did the project ever get completed? ANyone ever see the boat completed? I just bought a similar looking boat and plan to re- do the floors this FALL

I just posted this today. Project has just started. I think you were looking at my "join date" of 2005.

tallcanadian

Captain

What a cool project. Love the jet drive outboard. Very cool project.

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What a cool project. Love the jet drive outboard. Very cool project.

The jet drive is cool, I just don't have a real need for it in my area. Thinking about slapping on a prop drive lower unit on it to take advantage of the 200hp power head...but the boat isn't rated for it.
Thought about selling the whole engine, which would basically put me in the boat for nothing due to the value of the trade I made. I have an Evinrude 90hp that runs great, just don't think it's enough for this boat.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice. Are you going to keep the layout the same, with a center console?

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice. Are you going to keep the layout the same, with a center console?

Yes, but I'm adding rod boxes on both sides, and possibly a level deck where the floor frame starts to turn up.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

We've got a SeaArk ZX180 (rigged bass boat) with a 90 hp Johnson. It will barely do 45 with just me so a 90 on that thing probably won't win you any races. SeaArks are the tanks of the boating industry and, in my opinion, are way underrated hp wise. For a boat that size, made out of aluminum that thick, I'd look for the biggest motor allowed. I think it's 150hp.

Did you run it with the jet?

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We've got a SeaArk ZX180 (rigged bass boat) with a 90 hp Johnson. It will barely do 45 with just me so a 90 on that thing probably won't win you any races. SeaArks are the tanks of the boating industry and, in my opinion, are way underrated hp wise. For a boat that size, made out of aluminum that thick, I'd look for the biggest motor allowed. I think it's 150hp.

Did you run it with the jet?

I haven't had it on the water yet. The previous owner said it did 35 before he put a new stainless 4 blade impeller in it. That should have gained 2-3mph but his paddle-wheel speedo pick up broke so he couldn't compare.
The tag on this 1996 model said 130, which the 140 jet exceeds.
I'd be tickled if it will do 35-40 with the jet. Switching to a prop lower unit might make it go too fast...idunno.

drewpster

Commander

A bunch of local guys around here love those jets because they can get into very shallow water. We have all sorts of inlets and secret holes all up and down the river. A jet is great for getting in to hideaway places.

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A bunch of local guys around here love those jets because they can get into very shallow water. We have all sorts of inlets and secret holes all up and down the river. A jet is great for getting in to hideaway places.

Hmmmm? What section of the TN River are you near? We've cruised from Knoxville to Pickwick Dam in our 22' C Dory. Did the Cumberland from Nashville to Celina the week of July 4th this year. Love both of those rivers!

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Almost done! All painted, rod boxes and secondary front deck/storage are installed, found a great deal on a like new 62" 70# bow mount hand controlled TM, lower unit repainted, carbs rebuilt and installed. Idles fine, lake test this weekend...still gonna make a homemade manometer to sync the carbs.
SeaArk062.jpg

SeaArk050QP.jpg

SeaArk055QP.jpg

NewImage2.jpg

TojosMojo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That SeaArk looks great, you did a fine job of restoring and upgrading her...

Rickairmedic

Commander

Snal she looks great and that Jet Drive is awesome . I would keep it if you do alot of river fishin. I only fish dep sea so wouldnt do me anygood but I do run the rivers here for fun and that Jet would be great for geting into spots you wouldnt gewt to with a prop.

Rick