Park with tilt up or down?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys. I was just wondering if I should leave my OB tilted up or down when the boat is parked in my driveway? Is there any benefit one way or the other? Thanks.

kencat

Seaman
Re: Park with tilt up or down?

The manual for my 60hp Evinrude says to "store motor in the normal running position to ensure proper drainage of the motors cooling system".

Pooled water in the passages could do what water does when left stagnant, and I would think being vertical would be less strain on the mounting bracket linkages and pivots.

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good question, I want to know too....I have an IO though.

a70eliminator

Captain

If I lower the drive I can't raise the bow high for water drainage, I do however lower the drive as far as possible for bellows sake.

61evinrude

Cadet

I'm glad someone asked this. I have always been told to leave the ob in up position, but this has been by my father-in-law, and he usually isn't right about much. So will take you guys word for it and run outside and tip mine down right now.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I'm glad someone asked this. I have always been told to leave the ob in up position, but this has been by my father-in-law, and he usually isn't right about much. So will take you guys word for it and run outside and tip mine down right now.

My FIL is about the same :p

gene8084

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Store OD in down position.​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you cannot store completely down. after use flushing the motor let it sit in the down position for about 15 minutes, you can even bump the motor over (do not start) to help get the water out of the power head. then raise the motor only as high as necessary.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 4 stroke 60hp Yamaha has a sticker on it that says to store it down because oil may leak from the engine over time and cause problems.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Down, less chance of hitting it with a car or hurting it while moving it around the yard.

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

I go with down then remove prop so the criminals dont get it, last of all I cover it.