T-Stat cover removal-Ficht

scsangler

Recruit
I tried to remove the Thermostat covers on my 2000, 200hp Ficht and did nothing but destroy them. The first broke off in my socket, and the second rounded off completely. The covers are made from plastic and most likely have never been removed from this 10 yr old engine. The covers didn't even budge before they broke. Any ideas how I am suposed to get them off now that they are partially destroyed?

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: T-Stat cover removal-Ficht

Vice grips, if you can. Since they are plastic, you could try to break them off some so you can get to the broken bolts better. That and some heat, but obviously heat is gonna melt the crap out of them, which will make a huge mess.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Use a 1 1/2" socket over the larger of two hexes. Sometimes the top part will break off in severely corroded conditions, but a small chisel will break away the threaded parts and a small wire brush, stainless steel, can clean the salt out of the threads.

Use plenty of Triple Guard grease on the threads and o-ring when installing new ones.

jonesg

Admiral

Same problem here except I haven't broken anything yet, I'm gonna try a heatgun when I get a roun tuit. They do get stuck for sure.