boating rules or laws

peterj

Cadet
Re: boating rules or laws

There are boating rules and then there are boating laws. If you break most of the boating "rules" usually you will just get some interesting gestures from other boaters but not much more - other than the fact that you are putting yourself and others at risk.<br /><br />On the other hand boating laws will often land you a ticket or potentially worse if broken. I won't even try to generalize them since they vary by state (obviously there are the common ones like don't drink and drive).<br /><br />Since I don't know your state, I would suggest you go to www.altavista.com and do a search for State boating laws. Seems to pull up good matches if they don't change their database today.<br /><br />If you are looking for boating rules, let me know and I will take a look around for ya.

testjob

Recruit

If you take a boat safty course from Coastal Aux they cover all of boating rules, also search your State web page for rules. Always show kindness on the water-ways that is number one on my list

Fishmore

Cadet

Get the book "Chapman - Piloting (Seamanship and Small Boat Handling)" If you can read that cover to cover a few times you will have some good knowledge to start with. Then take a course from the Coasties and you will be in even better shape.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google- safe boating courses, they are listed by states. the Florida site you can become certified on line, for a fee, or you can, order the course book from the state for free, and send the test in, and be certified for free. i did it this year, and learned many new things, and changes in laws. been boating 45 years. as you must be 22 to operator a water craft or be certified.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are an inland waters boater, make sure you know the regulations on the body of water you will boat on. Some have horsepower restrictions, some have no gas engine use, some are boat size restricted. and many have speed restrictions. In areas where high water levels occur, there are "no wake" restrictions within a certain distance from the shoreline. Some even restrict speeds before and after a given time slot. No skiing/water sports during certain times, etc. Pain the behind but one needs to pay attention or you pay with your wallet.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

OK, where is Mutley?

Seems he dug up another 6+ year old thread.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't know, with this search function we definitely don't need Mutley to dig up old bones . . .