Starter

deercat

Cadet
Hope I got to the right place. I have a 1989 Mariner 40 magnum and I just had the starter rebuilt. When I put it back I noticed it seemed to move a good bit. I am sure I put everything back right just didn't notice it moving when I took it off. Is some movement normal. Thanks for any help. James

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter

Movng in what way. Loose on the mountings? If the entire starter motor is moving -- NO -- that is not normal. You did something wrong. It requires solid physical contact with the engine block or you would not have the required ground connection. It needs to be tight. Just look at things carefully before cranking down on bolts so you don't break something.

deercat

Cadet

It is a 1989. The starter mounts sre all tight. There was one thick rubber bushing and one flat washer. I put the bushing on top and the washer on bottom of starter to sit in bracket mounts. The bolts are tight but you can grab the starter at the bottom and move it side ways and can even turn it a very little bit.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That is not right but I can't help you with the way it is supposed to be. As I mentioned, if the start can move, it won't even run since you don't have a good ground connection unless there is a separate ground cable between the starter and engine block. All I can suggest is that you stop at a boat dealer and look at a similar engine or stop at your library to see if they have a service manual for your engine. They often do.

deercat

Cadet

Thanks for your help. It does have a ground cable. Just talked to the guy that rebuilt it and he said the rubber bushing and the washer that go on top and underneath that allows you to tighten up the brackets to the mounts on the block must be worn out. Once again I appreciate you help