Breaking in a new motor--recommendations

JonathanEngr

Seaman
I'm getting the new Mercury Classic (carbed) 90 HP two-stroke engine installed today, and plan to use the boat this weekend. I've talked to one boat mechanic (independent) and two dealers, and they each say something different. The mechanic says that the fuel/oil mixture needs to be adjusted for the first 50 hours, one dealer says to leave the adjustment at factory rec'd settings and just add additional oil to my gas tank (while also using the oil injection on the engine), and the other dealer says you don't have to do anything other than add the two-cycle oil to the oil injection unit on the engine. I googled the same topic, and same thing--lots of different recommendations. Can anyone say for certain what the best way to break this engine in would be? Also, should I limit my RPM's for the first few hours? Use regular/Plus/Premium gas? I just want to do this the right way. Thanks!

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Breaking in a new motor--recommendations

WHen u go to pic up the boat after it is installed They will tell u what to do. Usually the motor is set for extra oil on the motor. So the oil tank will usually add extra oil to the motor. When u take it in for its break in service they will reset it to a lower oil setting.

But they will tell u what to do when u pic it up and also have them write it out and sign it. So if they tell u something wrong then u have what they told u to do in writing so they will be responsible for a failure.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

Your new motor should come with an operating manual that has proper break-in procedure. Here is the information from the manual from my 1995 Mariner.

Models With Oil Injection
Use a 50:1 (2%) gasoline/oil mixture in the first tank of fuel. Follow the table below for mixing ratios. Use of this fuel mixture combined with oil from the oil injection system will supply adequate lubrication during engine break-in.
After the break-in fuel mixture is used up, it is no longer necessary to add oil with the gasoline.

JonathanEngr

Seaman

Wow! Thanks, guys. I saved and printed the info sent here. Also, I ccalled Mercury and they said the same thing--50:1 in the tank for the first full tank. Correct me if I am wrong, but does this mean I need to add 0.4 gallons of a typical outboard 2-cycle oil to reach a 50:1 ratio? Or are there some 2-cycle oils out there that are more concentrated, etc.? Is there a better and best type of 2-cycle oil on the market? I know at Walleyworld they sell one type that says "Meets all warranty requirements of Mercury, Evinrude, Yamaha, etc., etc" and it's $10/gallon. It seems most name brands are $25 or so per gallon.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Wow! Thanks, guys. I saved and printed the info sent here. Also, I ccalled Mercury and they said the same thing--50:1 in the tank for the first full tank. Correct me if I am wrong, but does this mean I need to add 0.4 gallons of a typical outboard 2-cycle oil to reach a 50:1 ratio? Or are there some 2-cycle oils out there that are more concentrated, etc.? Is there a better and best type of 2-cycle oil on the market? I know at Walleyworld they sell one type that says "Meets all warranty requirements of Mercury, Evinrude, Yamaha, etc., etc" and it's $10/gallon. It seems most name brands are $25 or so per gallon.
I'd stick with the Quicksilver brand name for now.

robert graham

Admiral

in addition to your autolube oiling system, add 2.6 ounces of outboard motor oil for each gallon of gas in your first tankful. then just run your boat as per the break-in proceedure in the owners manual, or just slow and easy for the first 10 hours, always varying your RPM's, stopping often to let motor cool, run some more, a bit of half throttle, then back. the next 10 hours or so you can open it up long enough to get on plane, then back off. just baby it, do it right and motor will break in fine. it's important but not brain surgery. Good luck!

robert graham

Admiral

a couple of other points on your new motor, learn to drain the carbs, use Stabil Marine all the time and install a fuel/water seperator and you will eliminate most fuel related issues. Good Luck!