What do i do with this?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still trying to get my poor starting issue resolved, have now arrived at the throttle cable, i think it will benefit from some lubrication, BUT what is the weird little threaded barrel/tube type of "thingamebob" that is connecting the eye on the end of the cable to the remote, mercruiser single stn remote on 1983 485,, how do i release the cable so i can get some oil down it? no rush, as once again the weather over here has turned to Kak! thanks fellas

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: What do i do with this?

You don't oil control cables, you replace them....
If it is that stiff that you feel it needs oil, replace it......;)

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah ha, there,s always one,(lets belittle the newbie).
Why dont you try answering the question, or better still try reading the mercruiser manual, where it states quite clearly the procedure for lubrication of cables, either way if i replace or lubricate the cable i still have to get the fastner off, and who said anything about stiff cable, routine/preventitive maintenance is the order of the day here mate, but thank you Haut Medoc for your completely unhelpful comment, i suppose with replies like that its easy to rack up 10,000 posts.nob

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The manual shows lubricating the end at the control and engine but as far as a stiff cable...REPLACE IT!:rolleyes:
They are not that expensive....Geeze!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't oil control cables, you replace them....
If it is that stiff that you feel it needs oil, replace it......;)

Dude, he said nothing wrong, you are just WAY out of line.

What he said is true, I know of nowhere in a merc manual of any kind that it says you can lubricate a throttle or shift cable.
Besides if you found where it says it, follow the directions they give.

What is this "Merc" manual that you are reading? Who puts out the manual?

billywhizz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WRONG, The manual clearly shows lubricating the inner, who said the cable was stiff? and its all in the manual downloaded from the sticky, chapter 7.7 just face up to it fellas, you are not Gods and like the rest of us quite capable of getting it wrong, 10000 posts gives nobody the right to sarcasm,

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What manual are you looking at????

As far as I can tell, there are no remote control sections in the 2 manuals (#8 and #6) that are used for your engine and drive setup. There is also no section 7.7.

I think I found it. Section 7.7 Is this it?

remotecontrol.jpg