Please help deciding between these two bayliner I/O vs Outboard

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking to pick up a cheap boat to do some fishing.

First one is a 1986 bayliner capri with a 135 HP evinrude outboard.

The second one is a 1988 BAYLINER capri as well but it has an i/o not sure what the engine is maybe a 4.3l? and a Volvo penta outdrive.

They are basically the exact same price. I haven't seen either boat, but fromt he description and photos the entire of the 1988 has a new carpet and new upholstery vs the 1986

better cosmetic is always a plus, but reliability and ease of maintenance someone who is some what mechanically incline will get the deal.

Which of the two motor type would I have a more trouble free experience and cheaper to maintain?

Please help ASAP, I'm going to see the boat in the next day and it's an hour plus drive.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please help deciding between these two bayliner I/O vs Outboard

Personally I would go for the Evinrude outboard. In my personal experiences the outboards I've operated have been easier to maintain than I/O's. But, many people's opinions may differ.

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one more thing I forgot to ask. the 1988 with the i/o is a 19' vs the 1996 with the outboard is a 16' by having an outboard, would I have as much interior room as the 19'?

I just spoke to the owner again and confirm that it has a 3.0 OMC Cobra and original engine. Last time he took it out was 7 months ago. All he's done to it is change the oil.

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no one else? I'm going to see this boat in a few hours.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your just going fishing,,, i would get the outboard.... i will be alittle smaller but it would work.