No Fuel On My River

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I ever manage to close a boat deal, I may be finishing the season on a river that lacks a marina for fuel.

My boat of choice will be a cabin cruiser of at least 23 feet. Maybe longer. I wanted to leave it on the water since I currently lack a vehicle to tow such a monster.

Is it practical to lug fuel in gas cans to your boat? Or is it more practical to retrieve such a big boat simply for the purpose of dragging it to a gas station. Then have to launch it again.

Anybody with the same dilemma?

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Fuel On My River

You tilt it back and roll it on it's wheels like a dolly.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 27' express cruiser. It has 2 70 gallon tanks. I fill it at my dock all the time. I use six, six gallon cans to fill it. The trick with the cans is to find one of the siphons that you shake to transfer the gas, rather then trying to pour it into the boat from the can. I can do 70 gallons, in about one hour.

Thats two trips to the gas station, I drive a suburban, so it makes it easy to transport the cans.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A friend of mine had the same issue, some years ago. He took a 50 gal steel drum and modified it slightly to make a gas tank he could fill at a service station. He made some wooden chocks to keep it from rolling around in the bed of his Bronco. One end had a plastic faucet with a long hose that would reach the boat tank. He filled the drum thru the "bung", and drove to the dock, unrolled the hose, stuck it in the boat tank and turned on the faucet. Gravity did the rest.

snmpgh

Cadet

We only have a couple marinas in our pool that have gas so many folks at our marina lug it down. My brother who has a Carver cruiser with 2 80 gal tanks has two of the Todd 28 gal wheeled tanks. Now he will only use about 80 to 100 gal in a season (he boat does not leave the dock very often) so he only needs to wheel the cans down once or twice a year. Each can has a pump system that seem pretty efficient.

I have some back problem so I opt to pay the extra $1 a gallon and fill up on the water. But I have helped my brother fill his up and the carriers and the pumps work well, slow, but effcient.

Mike

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I am in construction and we have 50 - 100 gallon tanks mounted in the back of our trucks that we use to fuel up equipment, It would work great if you can drive down to the water. They have about a 20' hose on them.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I got a 15 gallon portable tank (Blitz) with nozzle. I built a cart to hold it about 2' off the ground (it looks like a wheel barrow with two wheels). The cart serves two purposed, it gets the 150 lb tank the 300 feet from the truck to the dock and gives the tank the elevation it needs to gravity feed to the boat. I usually fill the tank and a couple 5 gallon cans to the station.

I also usually pour the 5 gallon cans into the big tank to take advantage of the nozzle, it i pretty spill proof.

Saves at least $25.00 per trip to gas station.

Jeep Man

Commander

A guy I work with has a 25' boat and had the same problem until another boater told him about a local fuel co. that delivered to larger boats. There might be one in your area.

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A guy I work with has a 25' boat and had the same problem until another boater told him about a local fuel co. that delivered to larger boats. There might be one in your area.

That's could be worth checking out.

Thanks