wiring

hawkmech29

Recruit
I just bought a 75 evinrude 85hp outboard and looking for some advice the guy that sold it to me said he took it out this year and right after they launched it the horn started blowing so they disconnected it a little further out on the lake smoke came out of the engine and he cut throttle and it stalled so I realize that it overheated it melted the heat wrap around the ignition coils wiring but the wires were not melted starter works if u jumper it from the battery but not by turning the key and i am getting spark from # 1and 3 plugs only besides replacing the harness and or coils what else should I try and do

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: wiring

You need to find where the short is. Even if it means inspecting every inch of wire. If you can use an ohm meter it could help you narrow it down.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

When he said the horn started blowing, did he mean the deck horn or the "hot" horn? If it was the hot horn you will need to determine what caused that (water pump not working?)

hawkmech29

Recruit

not quite sure which i think it was the deck horn because he said that they unplugged it the good news is that i ran a compression check today and all cylinders have the same compression i have been hearing many people say the same thing about the water pump gonna check that out tomorrow