Eska Ted Williams 7.5HP Strange Running Problem

Metzbower

Cadet
What I Have:
1974 Eska (Ted Williams 7.5HP) model number 217.58882 with carburetor type 640-09 Spark Plug Champion RJ12YC

The Problem:
I can connect the fuel line and prime the bowl using the bulb. Fresh gas mixed at 32:1 with Walmart TC-W3 premix. If I disconnect the fuel line and pull on it about twenty times it will fire up and start running. I quickly shift to gear and put it at fuel throttle. But before it runs out of fuel I reconnect the fuel line. And it runs horrible and wont idle. Only when I disconnect the fuel does it run well.

What I have done already:
*Fresh Plug gap set to 0.030

*Thoroughly cleaned carburetor. I took everything thing out, carefully inspected all the gaskets. I had to cut a new engine/carb gasket out of rubber fiber gasket material. The fuel diaphragm and the orange pump thing are in great shape. Sprayed carb cleaner in everything and blasted out with compressed air. Put it all back together following the Tecumseh two-stroke book. Setting the float to 11/64". (The original brass bowl bolt was torn, so I had to get a new one made, everything is identical with a 30/1000" hole drilled at the bottom. Is that the correct size hole? We didn't have much to work with)

*Checked the spark using a small engine spark tester and I have no problems with the ignition whatsoever.

Does anyone have any advice as to why this motor keeps getting too much fuel?

Thank you,
Chris

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Eska Ted Williams 7.5HP Strange Running Problem

Usually a problem with the float or float valve.
If its a metal float is there gas in the float? Could be a crack or pin hole.
If there is gas; position the hole down and warm the float with the sun or other none flame source as you warm and cool the float the gas will come out.TYhen clean it up and solder using an iron or gun.Its tricky as you heat it
may build pressure making soldering difficult.Heat swiftly and cool the opposite side of the float.
You may be able to see it flood as you squeeze the primer bulb and keep the throttle open and look inside.
If the float seat is damaged or installed wrong fuel may bypass along the threads.

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

While this isn't probably your issue, you are using the wrong type of oil in your fuel.

You need to use air cooled oil for weedeaters/lawnmowers, not TCW3 oil for water cooled outboards...

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Replace the needle and seat. And double and triple check the red fuel pump diaphram for really small tears or holes.

Metzbower

Cadet

I checked the float when I first cleaned the carburetor by holding it under water and then carefully checking if bubbles came out as I rotated it around. None appeared and it always shot to the top when released. So I thoroughly dried it and reinstalled.

Does anyone know the exact float height setting for this engine?

Like I said I used a Tecumseh book, but it was a generic two-stroke book; nothing specific to my engine.

Also, steelespike what do you mean fuel might bypass along the threads? What exactly am I looking for, and where?

Where did you get a new needle and seat for your motor?

Should the red fuel pump diaphragm (the rubber tube thing) not have any cuts in it? Mine has a cut that lets one side more up and down. But it looked like it was a factory cut. Should that not be there?

I will use my chainsaw premix and give it another try.

Thanks

Metzbower

Cadet

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Replace the needle and seat. And double and triple check the red fuel pump diaphram for really small tears or holes.

Thanks for mentioning this!! My part was torn so perfect and symmetric that I was sure it was factory original as I've never had one of these before.

But an old mower shop in my town had a new fuel pump, $6.42 and the motor seems to be running great now!!! Thanks for all your help and advice!

Chris

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the seat is threaded into the carb if cross threaded, damaged or installed wrong(missing a gasket) gas will leak around the seat.If pressed in if there is damage gas could leak oround it.
On the oil requirements.My after market manual specifically says 24:1"good grade of oil"74 and later "32:1 if BIA certified TCW oil is used".
Regular 2 stroke oil is not wrong just not specified.Also my Citgo TCW3 rated oil states "recommended for 2 cycle engines including outboards,snowmobiles,motor cycles,chainsaws,string trimmers,and lawn mowers".Meets or exceeds requirments for TCW,TCWII".

Metzbower

Cadet

I was wondering that myself, the TC-W3 oil that I have says that it is good for use in chainsaws among other things. I know of very few liquid cooled chainsaws. So I was wondering why this oil wouldn't work in the Eska motor.

The 1976 Eska owners manual, my motor is a 74', says,

"32 to 1 ratio of regular grade leaded gasoline to 2-cycle outboard lubricant or its equivalent BIA certified TC-W 2-cycle lubricant."

It also states that it is an air cooled two stroke on the same page. So I'm guessing that the TC-W3 probably will be fine since the people that built the engine seem to think so. Anyone think different and have a reason?

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sure any 2 stroke oil will be fine. These motors are pretty robust when you get the fuel issues worked out.

I'm glad you got your issue fixed. I had mine running and now is exactly the opposite problem as yours.

I have the same motor by the way. 571-58882 1974 7.5HP. We've had this motor since new.

I have to keep pumping the bulb to keep mine running. It looks like I may have a slight leak at the fittings. I put on some clear tubing on a good bulb so I can see what's going on. If I don't keep slightly pumping the bulb, it will run out of fuel.

I completely rebuilt the carb last week with a new fuel pump and a carb kit.

Any ideas? Float set wrong? A hole in the float? Bad fittings?

Metzbower

Cadet

I would start from the beginning. Take the lid off the fuel tank while running to make sure it is not a clogged vent in the cap.

Check if there is a clogged fuel screen in the tank pick up, or elsewhere in the line.

Make sure that all fittings are tight and not leaking air.

Check the float height, an 11/64" drill bit parallel to the float hinge and the opposite end worked good. I just had the boat out all day and was pleased with it. (Check the bit using calipers, some of my older bits were worn down alot.)

Carefully check the orange/white colored gasket in the external fuel pump. You should be able to hold it against a flat surface and the little flaps should not curl.

Make sure the two gaskets on the external pump are not torn at all, and torque very gently. I did mine just enough so it wouldn't leak.

Thoroughly clean the carburetor and make sure the float is not sticking. I check this by flipping the carburetor up and down after re-assembly. Doing this I can hear the float raise and lower.

Carefully check the little rubber pump element that was the problem on my engine. Make sure the gasket between the engine and carburetor is not blocking the crankcase vacuum from pumping the orange thing. Make sure it is in at a 45 degree angle with respect to an imaginary line that bisects the centers of the carburetor mounting holes.

Lastly, try running the motor and holding the tank and line higher than the motor. If it runs with no problem you know that it is not a fuel line/tank problem. Instead, the motor is not pumping good.

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

My problem is either a sticking needle and I'm forcing gas through when I pump the bulb, or my remote tank fittings are shot. with clear hose on the old fittings, I could see the gas slowly creap down the tube with air present.

The fittings could be letting in air, or the needle is sticking.

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

I hooked up the fuel line direct to the carb and the engine runs without issue.

My issue is bad fuel connectors leaking air into the system and not allowing the carb to pull fuel. It was pulling air through the leaky connectors.

Question for all of you. On your male or engine side engine connector on 217-58882 (1974, 7.5HP) does your mail connector have an o ring on the connector?

Either my orings are hard and leaking or I'm missing some Orings.

Can someone please let me know where the orings are on the connectors and how many on each connector.

I may just convert to a generic connector and call it a day.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure any 2 stroke oil will be fine. These motors are pretty robust when you get the fuel issues worked out.

I'm glad you got your issue fixed. I had mine running and now is exactly the opposite problem as yours.

I have the same motor by the way. 571-58882 1974 7.5HP. We've had this motor since new.

I have to keep pumping the bulb to keep mine running. It looks like I may have a slight leak at the fittings. I put on some clear tubing on a good bulb so I can see what's going on. If I don't keep slightly pumping the bulb, it will run out of fuel.

I completely rebuilt the carb last week with a new fuel pump and a carb kit.

Any ideas? Float set wrong? A hole in the float? Bad fittings?

While your right your motor is a 74 it doesn't have a 571 prefix but a 217.
indicating an Eska built motor.571 indicates a West Bend built motor.
Last year for West Bend built motor was 65.

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

Can someone provide me a picture of the inside of the female remote tank connector?

I'm trying to determine if I'm missing an O-ring on the engine (male) side or an O-ring on the female side of the connector.

On the male connector, the only O-ring I have is around the check valve.

On the female connector (tank side) I have the o-ring around the check valve, and one midway up the connector. Is there another O-ring on the lip of the connector?

what I'm trying to determine is if I need to replace both the engine side connector or just the female tank connector so I can have an air-free seal and get this bad boy back on the water.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Metzbower

Cadet

my brother had the boat out all day today, but I'll take a look at all the connectors tomorrow and let you know how they look

esemilio

Recruit

Hi,

I am glad I stumpled on this thread. The problem I have with my 7.5HP (1971) Eska is that it takes 14-16 pulls before the engine pops. Once it pops it seems to run OK. If I shut it off, it will restart on one pull.......It just dawned on me that the gas must be leaking out of the bowl (I put in new bowl), I will retighen and check it out.

The biggest "problem" I have is pin holes in the gas tank. I picked up this motor and based on the condition of the carburator bowl, it appeared not to have been used in many,many, years (that is why I replaced the bowl). The gas tank had a lot of rust on the inside. I removed all the rust from inside the tank and sealed all the pinholes I could detect with epoxy on the outside of the tank. I started looking for a liner/sealer, however the ones I located are all rather expensive.
Does anyone has a good but cost effective solution?

Thanking all of you in advance,

Emilio

vman

Recruit

Hi, ran across this thread looking for info on 7.5 Sears Eska. I got one recently and solved stalling problem due to seat being plugged, but now have a question about the throttle pin on the carb that opens from the plate cam mounted to the engine and turned by the twist handle. Mine had some hose over the pin to make it open the throttle earlier, it does look like it should have had a bushing or something on it as it is a good half inch from the plate and doesn't get pushed until the very last bit of twist taken in the "Fast" position. But in looking at schematics it appears it is supposed to be just the bare throttle pin. How does this work? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Vance
EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. It is not supposed to have anything on it and the plate doesn't start to move the throttle pin on the carb until it is turned a good bit. Doesn't really rotate fully until in gear. Running good now although I still have a slight manifold leak behind the carb.

proaudio12

Cadet

Have you checked the Reeds? I have a 7.5 Hp Ted Williams that would only run when I pumped the bulb and when it was out of the water. Would not run in the water. Turns out it had one broken reed, now she runs like a champ.

MSZ

Seaman Apprentice

I was leaking air at the worn out fuel line connector. Replaced the connector and the motor runs fine.