prop pitch

knighthawks3

Recruit
i bought a boat motor with no prop.i need to no the pitch so i can pick oneup.the motor is a old chrysler(not sureofyear)this is the info that is visible.chrysler 55.7 h.f. ser. 61.14 5250rpm full power range 5000-5500rpm. i hope someone can help.also if someone nos were i could get a manuel that would be great.thank you

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop pitch

The prop selection would depend on your application.
hwsiii has a program that can pick a prop.Check his posts for a list of the info he needs.If you also give us the details on the motor and boat there may be some Chrysler guys here that can suggest a starting point for a prop.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop pitch

If the boat is up to 15 feet long, start with a 10 3/8 diam X 13 pitch three blade prop. Over 15 feet, go to 10 3/8 X 11 or 12. These props are usually not available new, so look on ebay or go over to The Chrysler Crew and ask there.

Some marinas advertise on ebay and will sell new props (NOS New Old Stock, still in box) but they want a lot of money.

If you are lucky, you might find a used Bronze one which will look real nice on the lower unit.

These props used to be very common because they were used on Chrysler 35, 45, 55, and OMC 40-50 HP engines. The basic prop was the same but the rubber hub was different. Unfortunately, the hubs are no longer available so you can not buy an Evinrude prop and re-hub it.

The avatar in the upper corner is a nice little Chrysler 50 on a 10 foot tunnel hull. It is swinging a bronze two blade 10 1/2 X 14 cupped racing prop at somewhere around 5500 RPM and 41 MPH.