Lower unit

rinker209

Cadet
I was greasing my sterndrive and noticed a piece was broke off. I was wondering if it affects anything. Do I need to replace my lower unit. I have not taken it back out on the water yet to check if anything was affected. Any fixes I can do short of replacing the lower unit. I attached a pic the red arrow points to wear the it broke. The piece missing is about 1-2 inches long. What is this part of lower unit called? Could I have a piece of metal welded in it's place if needed. I have heard of people welding Skegs back together after they broke off.

Attachments

• Alpha-one-generation-II-lower-parts-drawing.jpg
    Alpha-one-generation-II-lower-parts-drawing.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lower unit

It's the anti-cavitation plate. It keeps the prop from sucking down air. You know the sound when you turn too sharp and too fast and your motor revs up? That's cavitating. It probably won't make a difference if left. If you have the broken piece you could epoxy it or have it welded. Likely you would have to remove the seals and guts of the gear case to avoid damaging them when welding.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats the anti- cavitation plate Ive seen guys form jb weld to fix that and as far as Ive ever heard its a good cheap fix as long as its not broke so that water will get in:confused:

rinker209

Cadet

thats the anti- cavitation plate Ive seen guys form jb weld to fix that and as far as Ive ever heard its a good cheap fix as long as its not broke so that water will get in:confused:

As far I can see there is not a crack through the lower unit.

rinker209

Cadet

Thanks guys for the quick response. I will inspect it closer in the A.M

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup! Anti-ventilation plate. With a cracked in that area, you're likely to introduce air and ventilate the prop.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

that area is more anti splash then any ventilate, you should be fine until you pull it for service in the fall. however if you notice more rpm and less speed chances are the prop is ventilating.

i dont move fast enough to cavitate tow roper, slow and steady wins the race.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

crap i did call it the wrong name...... take a stripe lol

rinker209

Cadet

So do you guys think I will need to replace or fix it. If i do not notice a high rpm at lower speeds I should be fine?

cr2k

Captain

A welding shop should be able to tig on a piece with out hurting anything.

Probably won't cause any problems as it is.

rinker209

Cadet
Re: Lower unit more pics

Re: Lower unit more pics

Here is my actual damage. Pisses me off. I am concerned with a chip. If you look on the last pic you will see a white dot, in the pic it is right above the break on the end. It's a decent chip can't tell if it goes all the way through the wall of the unit. How thick is wall of the unit? How can I tell if this chip/possible crack lets water in. I did not see anything coming out of chip. Does anyone know of a good Shop that can repair this break?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg