1980 SRV-192 Tilt problem

Fletch71

Recruit
Hi folks, first off I'm new to boating and have limited working knowledge of engines, so please be gentle. ;)

Here's my problem. I have a 1980 Searay with a 470 (or what's left of it) and just had the trim cylinders refurbished because they were pitted. Raising and lowering the drive worked fine for a couple of runs after I got it back, but then it would no longer lower.

Trying to raise the motor, you hear the relay click then the whirr of the pump. Trying to lower the motor, you just hear the relay, nothing else. Drive is in the fully raised position.

I noticed that on the bottom of the unit (has 79291a1 painted on the side, but I haven't been able to find what type of tilt unit it is), one of the connections was leaking fluid when trying to raise the motor. I tightened that and re-topped off the fluid, still same result.

Is there a way to:

A: Identify what type of power unit I have.
B: Troubleshoot the problem further.

I'm on a small isolated lake without a marina and since the drive is in the full up position it would take me a painful amount of time to limp it over to the boat launch and then trailer it an hour to the shop that just worked on it.

[Updated with link to picture of tilt unit]
205xvtc.jpg

Thanks

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 SRV-192 Tilt problem

not 100% sure but to me it sounds like the impeller part of the pump is DOA its been a while since i seen the inside of a tilt pump but i believe it is held in place by a set screw on a flat spot on the drive shaft, but like i said its been a long long time not much help but food for thought?

cr2k

Captain

Try giving the upper of the motor housing a tap NOT and smack but a few taps. If this makes it work at all (and it may not work for long) your brushes are probably rusted in the holders. Most of the time they will work one way and not the other for some reason.

If this is the case you can try to take it apart (good luck with that) and clean up the commutator and the brush holders, buy a new motor, or replace the whole darn thing with a new unit. But the new units have a plastic reservoir that is prone to cracking and making a purple stain on your carpet.

Some more food for thought.

At least your pump unit is accessible.

Fletch71

Recruit

Thanks guys.

As I mentioned, the trim cylinders had pitted and needed to be replaced. Now that I think back, the cylinders were leaking oil, not ATF. Now the unit is filled with ATF. I've read in different fourms/sites that the fluid is irrelevant (oil or ATF is fine) although the side of the pump says to use oil only. Any chance that this is the cause of the problem? If it is, then that would be good as it would be worth pulling the boat out and taking it back to the guys that replaced the cylinders.

I'm heading back out tonight after work, I'll give it the tap test and see what happens. I'll also grab some more pictures and perhaps a video, maybe that will shed some more light on the problem.

'Accessible', funny. Sad but true. Just trying to tighten the one hose on the bottom of the pump with a fluid covered wrench and a mirror was more than enough fun.

Azlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer

U have the same pump I have ! Its a 3 wire prestolite. U can get the motor & reservoir for $200. But they are all plastic reservoir. Does anybody know if u can replace a unit with another totaly diffrent unit, as long as the fittings fit? Maybe u can install a better pump.

Attachments

• 195231F-p.gif
    195231F-p.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

Fletch71

Recruit

Thanks Azlo, have you had to replace yours? Do you have a link to a supplier or a part number for a replacement?

I'm still trying to figure out if it's the pump of the relays, or something else. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play with it tonight. I figure I'll swap the relays as a start and see if the problem follows the relays or stays with the pump direction.

Question for you, is your pump full of oil or transmission fluid?

erikgreen

Captain

Pretty much any of the pumps Mercruiser sells will work, as will many other pumps out there. As long as they can handle the fluid you use and produce enough pressure to run the cylinders without blowing them up you're good.

I've been meaning to upgrade my pump when it dies to the new one with the plastic reservoir... but it just keeps running and running....

Erik

Azlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LInks you say?;
http://www.propelledmarine.com/trim_motors_pumps_mercury.htm
http://www.marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page62.html
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=195231F
http://www.psepmarineparts.biz/store/mercruiser_power_trim_pumps_and_components.htm
If your motor is making noise when you activate the switch then u know the switch & relays work, but the only thing i can think that could be a problem with this parts is no proper contact, make sureor or clean all wire contacts. If no problem there then I would supply power directly to the blue wire (make sure your black wire is grounded directly to batterry) than see if the out drive moves. If its already up then supply power to the green wire to bring the drive down. To me the motor sounds likes its running or trying to run,, so that tells me the relays are working. If you do all this and your pump whines than u might have a bad valve body. On your last question.....I have oil 20w 40 i think.

Fletch71

Recruit

Finally got around to checking the motor. Directly applying 12volts to the leads on the pump lower the tilt, so it looks like the relays (or at least one of them) is dead.

So. Where does one go about finding replacement relays? As you can see from the photo, they aren't the typical relays I've been finding in my searches. I'd rather not buy a complete new pump if possible, although I realize the pump may go next....

thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you go up to the stickies at the top of this forum and download the OEM manual for your outdrive (#4 should do the trick)
Then look at the troubleshooting section.
A lot easier than one guess at a time.

jeremy67r

Recruit

I have a '78 searay 187 w/470. my pump looks the same with diff. relays. i have good luck with hyd. lines from a place in Louisiana called aftermarket marine. i believe they have most styles of pumps and possibly relays too. might be a good place to start. they seem to have the lowest prices as anyone i've found so far. good luck, i was going to mention to check the relays but i see you have done that already.

Fletch71

Recruit

An update, just because I personally hate finding thread about a problem I am interested in and people seem to seldom follow up with how it went.

Replaced the down solenoid with a new one and it worked right off.

A note on the solenoid though. The reference I found was 89-853654A1, however all of the part references pointed this to a starter solenoid, with no specific mention of it being for the tilt pump. Apparently they are the same, or at least close enough to work.

Another thing that I found odd with this is that although the Mercruiser Manual #4 details the schematics for the wiring, it makes no reference to the part numbers. I would have thought that they would cross reference the parts that they are using, perhaps I missed something.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Part numbers change constantly. Superceded parts, different manufactures, different type part. That all changes and makes the part number different.
Manuals show HOW to do the job only, not part numbers.
That is why you see many sites it parts breakdowns and part numbers.