Replacing Splined Sleeve on Volvo Penta after hitting rock

Torvon

Recruit
My dad and our are in the process of replacing a broken splined sleeve in our Volvo Penta 5.7 on our Larson and I'm having a hard time finding a repair manual so we can double check everything we have done. The replacement has been really simple and I'm not sure how we could have done anything wrong but it's always nice to double check. Anyone have any tips of things to check or a place I could find a manual?

captmello

Captain
Re: Replacing Splined Sleeve on Volvo Penta after hitting rock

You might be able to get a manual here, but you have to give a lot more info on your engine besides Volvo 5.7

BTW welcome to Iboats.

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you are just replacing the prop i would just check for excessive play in the shaft and check for a bent shaft not likely tho prop hubs are made to be the weak spot

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

aren't we talking about the prop hub due to them hitting a rock?:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

aren't we talking about the prop hub due to them hitting a rock?:confused:
Nope, there is a splined sleeve between the upper and lower units designed to save the shafts and gears. Usually doesn't.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

it used to be called a drive saver but it doesnt. so the name was changed to coupler. as don suggests we need a drive model if we are to help

Torvon

Recruit

Is that list you linked a complete one? My dad said it's an SX-M1 but that isn't on the list, so it's probably the SX-M..the picture looks right. As I said before the splined sleeve was completely broken into 2 pieces which was allowing us to freely turn the propeller; even when the boat was in gear. If the splined spleen broke like it was suppose to does that mean there is a good chance it is the only broken piece or is it still probable that more equipment was damaged in the boat? At this point the only method I can think of to test out if more equipment is damaged is putting the new sleeve on and seeing if it works. Is there any way to check if something else is damaged before the part comes in the mail?

bigbrownbuku

its likely there is no more damage. replace the sleeve and go boating. OR suspect more damage and replace your gearsets. im leaning towards no damage.... check the splines when you replace the sleeve for twisting. the new sleeve has an orientation, end with the line groove closest- up.
on a side note its possible your propshaft is bent, check it to be sure as water will walk through that seal as it rotates.

Torvon

Recruit

its likely there is no more damage. replace the sleeve and go boating. OR suspect more damage and replace your gearsets. im leaning towards no damage.... check the splines when you replace the sleeve for twisting. the new sleeve has an orientation, end with the line groove closest- up.
on a side note its possible your propshaft is bent, check it to be sure as water will walk through that seal as it rotates.

So I'm pretty dumb with this stuff. The propshaft is the long metal piece that you stick the propeller on correct? Is there a better way to test it rather than just look at it or would it be something I would be able to see rather easily?

bigbrownbuku

the spec is small for runout something like 4 thousandths of an inch or so. just set some blocks the same height as the shaft in the horizontal position and place a pen or other similar pointy object very close to the shaft and rotate it without moving the gearbox, note how or even if the gap between pen and shaft changes. do it closer to the threaded end. if you have a 0-1" dial guage and magnetic base even better.

Torvon

Recruit

Okay so we received the splined sleeve piece and replace it without any problems. The propeller will no longer spin when the boat is in gear, so all good there. The problem now is that the shaft that propeller slides onto is bent. I don't have a tool to take any kind of precise measurement, however looking at the space between the shaft and the metal around it you can tell the space gets bigger and smaller as you turn. Also when the propeller is on the shaft and you spin it by end you can tell the propeller wobbles very slightly. I'm assuming that wobble is what would cause the boat to vibrate were we to launch it and try running it in the lake. Is there any chance the boat could still run okay with the slight wobble or is that something that would need to be fixed first? We're trying to decide before driving the hour or so it takes to get to the lake if it is even worth going out and testing.

Also, if that is too much of a bend, and I'm assuming it is; what is the possibility that my friend who fixes (ie straightens) drivelines from cars for a living will be able to straighten the prop shaft? How do we get the prop shaft out? After taking out the propeller and looking down the shaft it appears that the piece around the prop shaft is threaded and screws into the outer case or whatever but we can't get it to budge.

So to summarize:

1) Is a slight wobble too much of a bend on the propeller shaft to use the boat?

2) How do we remove the propeller shaft?