1983 bayliner capri/volvo aq125a/270

capriwald

Recruit
new here and have a few questions. Ill give as much info as i can to find an answer. I have a 1983 bayliner capri, with the volvo aq125a and 270 sterndrive. the boat was only firing on 2 cylanders when i bought it. figured out that a jet on the back carb was plugged. I cleaned that out and it started up and ran great. the next weekend on the lake it started bogging out when givin throttle. so i just went straight for a carb rebuild kit. rebuilt both carbs, with the help of my marine mechanic. now the boat is really a mess. its hard to get started and idling. it bogs down really bad with any gas. once you do get it running, its almost like half the time it runs on 2 cylanders and half the time on 4. if you go for a cruise and return to idle, one time it will idle nice and smooth but at 2000 rpm. the next time its a rough idle around 500. you really have to play with the throttle to even get the boat to WOT. sometimes it will also chug around and sputter once you turn the key to the off position. but not every time. I put new plugs in at the beggining of the year. timing is right on. put a new fuel water seperater filter on. new cap and rotor last year. im lost and so is my mechanic. we have tuned around with this thing and can get it running good at home but not on the lake. then tune around with it on the lake and it will run good for a minute and then go back to the same old thing. any ideas? thank you

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1983 bayliner capri/volvo aq125a/270

what kind of carb is it .is it the solex

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well when you say it runs good when it's *not* on the lake it makes me think compression is bad because it has to work harder in he water.

Or...

Try some seafoam?

BETZ954

Seaman

i would check the compression first. i should be 142-170. an make sure you have a good idle, your idle speed should be 900rpm. also your max crusing speed should be bout 4800rpm. if you can get a fuel presser gauge hooked in it your feed pressure needs to be between 2-4 psi.

capriwald

Recruit

what kind of carb is it .is it the solex

thats correct, well actually two of them. haha. I was also thinking the seafoam idea. Ill get the compression checked aswell. That makes sense to me aswell.