1971 7.5/hp merc link & sync?

435vette

Recruit
Need some help guys with a 1971 7.5/hp merc. Timing placard reads .195 BTDC 34 1/2. Yes, I read the FAQ on link & sync but not getting anywhere. Don?t know if I even have a trigger screw with a T-bolt ignition? Starts easy and idles nice but hard to get to WOT and dies when power is reduced. My carb butterfly is opened by an adj follower which rides on the throttle cam plate. I noticed that when the follower is on the high cam (2nd pickup limited by a stop screw for max advance?), the butterfly is only ? open and fully closed when still on the small cam (1st pickup). What is the correct way to set this? I adj the butterfly to open fully on the high cam and it now is fully closed when off small cam. Now it is hard to start and dies after a few seconds. Timing seems to be too retarded now? Appears that butterfly opening is limited to 2nd pickup by the stop screw for max advance and no further throttle is permitted and idle timing is set by idle screw, all of which seems to limit rotation of contact housing? Are these considered the trigger screws? I pulled flywheel and set points to .20? which were at .010?, but don?t know if that will make any big timing changes?

BTW, I have a aircraft dual mag timing light that indicates when the points open when the engine is static. Can this be of use on these systems?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Regards