86 200hp Johnson tilt n trim

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My tilt and trim is not working now. I had a feeling that is was due to quit anytime now, and it finally has. At first, it would sometimes get stuck all the way up, like it was binding, about every third or fourth time, and then just eventually start moving. And since I got the boat, and I'm not sure if this is normal (first boat), the tilt would go down a few inches and then just drop, faster than the tilt but slower than a free fall. Now, it wont move at all and it's stuck all the way down. The switch makes a clicking sound in the back, so I suspect it's a bad solenoid or something. I know about the manual release screw, and if its the screw i'm looking at on the motor, (huge flat head. about a 3/4 " slot) I can't get it loose. My 1/2" screw driver just slips out and is beginning to damage the screw head. Are there any tricks to getting it out? or other methods of releasing the pressure?

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 86 200hp Johnson tilt n trim

update... it works... for now. i didnt do anything to it. it just started working the other day. im sure it will break at the ramp when theres 15 boats waiting.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The manual release valve is within a small hole located at the bottom side area of the starboard transom bracket.

The large screw you speak of sound like the large PTT reservoir fill screw. Best to remove/install that screw with a hand held impact screwdriver. Sounds like the unit may be low on fluid.

Also, if the large side nuts on the steering tube are too tight, OR the steering tube itself is corroded somewhat, the resulting tightness will prevent the engine from lowering properly. In such a scenario the trim rams will pull in first, then the main tilt ram will start pulling in (instead of vice versa). THis will free the engine from that tightness and have it fall rather fast down to a point that forces the trim rams back out...... and at that point, the engine returns to the norm fall rate.

I suggest that you purchase a service manual for that engine and study it to avoid expensive mistakes.

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i bought a manual for it but it looks like a bootleg, the pages are just scanned and put into a pdf file, but the section on the tilt and trim is rather vague. i know where the fill hole is and i haven't even tried to open that. I tried getting said screw out with an impact driver like you said but i wasn't real sure on how to use it, but then it just started working again, ill be sure to check the fluid level because im pretty sure thats the root of one of the problems.