Power loss after running

bomalley

Recruit
Hope you guys can help.
I have a 2002 Mercury V6 200 HP carbed saltwater series. Had been running fine until the other day. Ran about 1/2 hour at 4500 rpm steady, when I went to throttle down to 3500 the engine surged and would not hold rpm between 2000 and 4000. Above and below 4000 it held steady. Shut it down and let it rest for an hour or so started right up but could not get past 2000 rpm, when I would try to throttle up it would immeditately die. It would start right back up idle fine and run to 2000 no problem but that was it.

Any ideas???

Alvarez

Cadet
Re: Power loss after running

Seems to be a fuel problem.Check fuel line from water seperator to fuel primer bulb.Does it have the original grey mercury hose.Also check water seperator filter and engine in line filter.Also fuel hose from tank to water seperator.Ethanol in fuel causes many problems with ob motors.I have same engine except ist's a 150hp but its same model mines a 150xl swb and yours a 200.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If it a 2.5 liter check your grounds to CDM module plate and also check fuel as suggested. If it a 3.0 liter check the TPI sensor as it may be corroded in connector or has failed internally

bomalley

Recruit

I will check the CDM today. I had ruled out fuel due to the fact that it runs fine except at mid-range. Could fuel still be the culprit?
Thanks for your help.