Roll or not

U_U

Cadet
Over on this side of the world, a small boatyard, normally servicing fishermen, has patented a tank that minimizes rolling in seas by 40%. The idea is to put an amount of water inside a tank out of phase with the boats' movement. On this video the tank is placed on top of the wheelhouse to acchieve best performance from a small amount of of water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMXCyeDzPuM

Just wanted to let ya' know ;)

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Roll or not

Yea I bet you did. Smells like spam to me!

Bill

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Splat,

I don't get it. What's the problem?

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe splat is still reeling from that Bearing buddy guy!:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Reminds me of a little incident a buddy had many years ago. He had his family on vaction and had towed his tin row boat along. The night before the return trip home he covered the boat and parked it next to the cabin. The first stop sign he came up to the next day he thought something was wrong with the brakes on his Falcon station wagon as the little buggy didn't want to stop as well as it should. After a couple more of those stops he though he'd better check things out and then noticed the trailer tires were a little more squatty than normal. Pulled the cover and the boat had taken on rain water off the roof of the cabin during the night. Those of you that are old enough to have ever driven a Falcon know that the brakes were not the best to start with and when called on to stop a boat load of water the results could be scary.

Splat

Lieutenant

Maybe splat is still reeling from that Bearing buddy guy!:D

Yea that guy, he was a real winner. This one smells just as fishy. "Just wanted to let you know"= usually means my buddies and I made this product in our garage and don't have enough money to market it yet, but I'm so clever I'll post it here on this free board, but I'll make it look like I'm being nice and passong this along to you my fellow boating buddies.

I could be wrong about this one, but I doubt it.

Bill

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was concerned at first, but U-U registered a long time ago and seems to post up new things . . . Hasn't been around for 3 years though.

ziggy

Admiral

interesting idea. i know my boat could use something like that. i rock and roll a lot in boat created waves. wind created waves are not so bad for me for whatever reason or difference... my guess is the consistency of the waves. random waves can almost ruin my day. i ain't gonna let it get me down though. i'm out boating and random waves are better than not having any at all for not being out on the water..

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

U-U

I'm not sure what about this tank your local boat yard could patent. These tanks are known as "flume" tanks and have been in use for decades. I have sailed on a couple of ships that have them.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I almost got seasick just watching the video! :)

Splat

Lieutenant

Perhaps my apologies are in order.

I think large cruise ships use large balast tanks to offset the wave motion and keep the passangers from ketting sea sick. A smaller version for recreational boats may have a place in the market.

Bill

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I think it would absolutely work, I'm sure it is more involved than just putting water in a tank but in theory it would work.

U_U

Cadet

Just to make things clear, my interest was to inform you, only. No hard feelings for suspecting spam, we do get a lot on our local boating forum as well. www.baadsnak.dk if you like to see (translates to 'boatchat' but site is not in english - sorry :()

True. I've been a registered user for a long time, even longer than my profile shows as iBoats managed to delete my first profile (regd. 04/04 2002) and some 1737 posts during one of their forum software swaps. Had to reregister with a new name. Later Mods restored the inital account - 'Spidybot' if you like to check.
Used to write frequently when member #'s were about one tenth of the current count, when many where known to others by their first name and top posters were JB, SBN, Bondo and others.

I do read pretty often wihout loggin in (regretfully iBoats forum tends to be rather slow nowadays).

If my interest was in selling something, don't you think it would be wiser to promote an item with the size of a bath tub on a more local forum? I have no idea if this product could be delivered to the US, but still find it interesting.

Apart form that, I can't say what the patent is about. The principle has been known for years, so to actually get the patent something new must have been invented or constructed.

From their site one notices info on what boat designs they've fitted it to and that placement on the boat is quite free. Some put them on the wheelhouse roof, some beneath a swim platform, some below deck. Apparently the the distance from the center of roll has a significant influence of the needed size of the tank (ie. the effect of the tank) and some have put more than one tank on.

Splat

Lieutenant

Well my apologies.

Anybody know how the tank inside is formed. I would think if your just using a tank with water, the water sloshing back and forth would exzaggerate the rolling motion.

Bill

rbh

Fleet Admiral

sounds like the tank is baffled, this would let the fluid in the tank move side to side slower than the wave action thus cancelling out some of the rolling
you could do this in your fuel tank if it was big enough and was at 90 degreess to the beam.
interesting hmmmm:rolleyes:
rob