1947 Elgin 3-1/2 hp cooling question

user151

Recruit
Hi. Glad I found this forum and thanks in advance for any clues or suggestions for my problem.

I picked up an old Elgin a couple years ago, just tried to start it last week and it runs fine but it seems to be overheating.
It is a 1947 3-1/2 HP water cooled model 58521

It will run fine for a few minutes then stop... it will re-start easily but stop again. I cannot hold my hand on the hot cylnder head.

There is a little hole in the lower elbow fitting at the tube on the left side (as you face the engine). See the photos. Warm / hot water squirts out of there in a strong stream.
Is that the pee hole / tell tale?
Does water squirt out there after it routes through the power head? If so, does this indicate that the water pump is working OK and that there is a blockage to the hot water trying to exit the motor? And where / what would that be and how to fix?

Thanks again,
Tom

Attachments

• elgin right side.JPG
    elgin right side.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • elgin lower pipe elbow.JPG
    elgin lower pipe elbow.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1947 Elgin 3-1/2 hp cooling question

Hi. Glad I found this forum and thanks in advance for any clues or suggestions for my problem.

I picked up an old Elgin a couple years ago, just tried to start it last week and it runs fine but it seems to be overheating.
It is a 1947 3-1/2 HP water cooled model 58521

It will run fine for a few minutes then stop... it will re-start easily but stop again. I cannot hold my hand on the hot cylnder head.

There is a little hole in the lower elbow fitting at the tube on the left side (as you face the engine). See the photos. Warm / hot water squirts out of there in a strong stream.
Is that the pee hole / tell tale?
Does water squirt out there after it routes through the power head? If so, does this indicate that the water pump is working OK and that there is a blockage to the hot water trying to exit the motor? And where / what would that be and how to fix?

Thanks again,
Tom

I've seen a lot of Elgins, but I don't remember ever seeing one like that. But then I guess I don't remember everything.

user151

Recruit

Investigated my own motor and found:

There is a little hole in the lower elbow fitting at the tube on the left side (as you face the engine). See the photos. Warm / hot water squirts out of there in a strong stream. Is that the pee hole / tell tale?
YES. Water exists the power head through the tube, the pee ole is at the bottom of the tube, from there the water goes to the exhaust.

Does water squirt out there after it routes through the power head?
YES. Most small water cooled motors are similar.

If so, does this indicate that the water pump is working OK?
YES

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Head should be too hot to hold your hand on.But not so hot it burns you.
If it stops and imedeatly restarts its not likely an over heat.Most likely slow
fuel supply.motor runs uses up fuel in rthe carb,stops carb refills and motor starts repeating the cycle.