1993 Mercury 40 HP trim problem

JoHerring

Cadet
I was out today with my pontoon and 40HP Mercury. When I leave my dock I always raise the motor to back out through the shallow first 25' or so and and then lower the motor once in deeper water. That worked fine when leaving, but coming back I could hear the trim motor/pump working but it would not raise the engine. I don't know if it would lower it because it was already right down, but I could hear the pump working in both up or down modes. Wassup?
Thanks.

JoHerring

Cadet
Re: 1993 Mercury 40 HP trim problem

After looking at numerous threads on tilt/trim it seems that it could be a solenoid issue. Am I right? If this is the case could anyone point me to a wiring diagram for this for my 1993 Johnson 40HP. I'm confused as to whether there are one or two solenoids for the trim. If indeed there are an up and a down solenoid, are they both the same?

I'm asking these questions because I'm going to have to work on this in almost chest high water, as I can't get the boat out of the water until October. So my plan is to go into town and buy 2 solenoids at NAPA if that is what I need to do (just in case they are both toast, if not I'll have a spare for next time and won't have to drive another 50 miles).

I'm new to boats and am not particularly mechanically inclined so please bear with me.

------------
Unrelated but thanks to information I found searching these forums, I was having intermittent trouble with my starter not engaging. After a thorough cleaning and changing a couple of terminals the problem seems to have disappeared.