Trim Gauge on Volvo SX - Only Reads UP

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boats Faria trim gauge will only read all the way up now, last time out it worked just fine. When you turn on the ignition key, the trim gauge moves down about a needles width no matter the drives actual position but is still basically showing full up.

I checked under the dash for a loose wire and did the same on the engine but don't see anything at either location. All fuses are also good. I also tried adjusting the gauge at the sender and got no response. After taking out the mounting bolts I can rotate the sender but can't seem to pull it free of the gimbal housing.

When we first purchased this boat I was trying to get the gauge to more closely match the drives position (full down reads full down) and played with adjusting the sender a bit. I found there was a very narrow range (where it was to start with) where the gauge would read at all. On either side of this range, the gauge would always go full up. I set it back to the mark I put on it before adjustment and its worked fine until today.

All advice appreciated.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trim Gauge on Volvo SX - Only Reads UP

disconnect the wires where they join the boat/engine harness, follow them from the inside of the transom. if the guage returns to normal your sender is nfg. they are expensive and difficult to change. consider carefully before you decide to replace it. if you like having a working trim guage the easiest way t get access to the thru transom port is remove the drive and pull the helmet pins. then cut the wires from the old sender close to the grommet and push it thru from the inside once you have removed the small stainless clip holding it inplace. good luck.

if the sender is stuck in the helmet pin thats not unusual, just pry the sender off once the 2 hold down screws are removed, a small plastic piece might stay behind in the pin, remove it any way you can the new one comes with a replacement. i like to keep them in one piece as im always pulling helmets and breaking them.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you like having a working trim guage the easiest way to get access to the thru transom port is remove the drive and pull the helmet pins.

Thanks for the response bigbrownbuku: I'm not sure I understand where the Helmet Pins are. Can you elaborate a bit more please? Yes, the sender seems to be stuck to me but I haven't tried to put much pressure on it.

Have the trim senders been improved any from what I currently have installed? What Volvo part number should I be looking for? I'd like to mine with the best version.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The part number is 3858212 and is very expensive these days. The older part was cheaper. Personally, I won't replace mine next time.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

The part number is 3858212 and is very expensive these days. The older part was cheaper. Personally, I won't replace mine next time.

Is the new one better or just more expensive? What was the old part number and is it still available?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the response bigbrownbuku: I'm not sure I understand where the Helmet Pins are. Can you elaborate a bit more please? Yes, the sender seems to be stuck to me but I haven't tried to put much pressure on it.

Have the trim senders been improved any from what I currently have installed? What Volvo part number should I be looking for? I'd like to mine with the best version.

if yours is stuck its likely the latest version as the rubber hex on the older versions was easy to remove. the helmet pins are the pins that hold the "helmet" to the gimbal. its the part the drive bolts to with its 6 nuts. 1 pin is located behind the trim sender and the other is on the other side.
the latest version is just cheaper to build is all, its basically the reason companies change any part. use a 5/8 hex tool to remove. access to the grommet in the transom is better, if you pull the nut holding the water tube and flip the bellows of the helmet end you will have all the space to work you need. pulling the xhaust isnt necessary.