how far out is safe?

jimbobnation

Recruit
I just bought my first inflatable, a 10' zodiac with an 8 hp 2-stroke. I'd like to do some fishing and general goofing off around the Massachusetts bay. Can anyone tell me how far out in the ocean I can go safely (2 people in the boat)? Would a mile be safe? How about three miles?

From reading the other posts on this, it seems like a lot has to do with the weather conditions, currents and visibility....

thanks dudes!

MGA

Cadet
Re: how far out is safe?

Remember you are "pleasure boating" and you don't want to take the pleasure out of boating. How fast can you retreat if bad weather comes up? What are your fall back actions going to be? What are you going to do if your engine fails and you want to get in? How fast can you paddle and how long will it take? I boat 7 and 8 miles off shore in an open outboard, but I watch the wind, (I like an onshore wind), and stay in cell phone, radio and visuale contact of other boats and I know how to discribe my position through trianglation should I have to call the CC, I have a compass whistle and flares, all small stuff but can make a big difference. Regardless of where you are going tell somone where your are going and went you will be back, I learned the hard way boating on a Friday night along in a uninhabited area of a local river, late in the season, I ran into trouble at dusk, had to beach and realized that no one would notice me missing until Monday.

Keep the pleasure in "pleasure boating"

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how far out is safe?

I really like MGA's point regarding other boating traffic and the proximity to a response. My comfort range in local waters is greatly extended. With a fair amount of traffic, the ability to radio for a help or a tow and a good idea of what to expect from the weather and currents I am rather bold. In a more remote spot a problem a mile out could be major drama. If you were to end up in the water exposure is the time limiting factor, even in warmer waters. Not like I would expect anything drastic like that to happen, but I take my wetsuit and a dry bag with a little food and water in it when I go far outside the kelp beds. Manage your margin of safety. I carry a waterproof VHF and a waterproof GPS. Nice to have those things work if you have to swim.