Hot starter, turns slowly

Emptydata

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I have a 1985 Johnson 40 hp - and I am having problems with the starer.
It turns over very slowly and it gets very hot - Checked the cables and everything seems ok.
Any idea what it could be????:confused:

Thanks for everyone's time,

Emptydata

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hot starter, turns slowly

Check your battery cables real good, they typically corrode from the inside out causing a high resistance that take alot of amps to get through causing major heat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

Emptydata

Cadet

Thanks for the reply's.

I bought new cables and will be changing them today - I checked the battery and it's puttting out 12 volts so I assume it's good.
I do have an extra battery that I will try if the new battery cables don't correct the problem.

Thanks again for the input.

Emptydata

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it does not correct it. take the starter off, and have it tested at a alternator/starter shop. not an autoparts store.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A hot starter is not a cable or battery issue. It is a starter issue. Dragging bearings, bad brushes, or a tight engine/lower unit.

66 joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had same issue last month. 112 outboard, I replaced cables and cleaned all connections, but kept getting weak starting. Trouble was intermittent.
2 diff starter rebuilders, told me starter was ok. My starter would get real warm, even with little cranking. One rebuilder put his battery to hit, spun it, and said it was good and handed it back to me warm! I wasnt going to question a electrician that does that for a living. Ended up ordering new starter, very first crank, boat started immediately. New starter doesnt get hot either. Joe

Emptydata

Cadet

Hey there,

I replaced the starter and everything is good now in my world - thanks again for the help:D

Emptydata