Using old gas

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have about 7 gallons of gas that is about 9 months old now. I would like to find a way to get rid of it. I read somewhere that if I filter it with a paper coffee filter it would not harm either an outboard or my lawn mower. But I would need to mix it about 50/50 with fresh gas. Any thoughts on this?

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Using old gas

I think it's a god idea to filter it in case of water. To use it up, I'd dump it in a vehicle tank needing 14 gal or more so you get the 50/50 mix.
Mike

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I winterize my OB's gas tank with Stabil over the winter months, then in the spring dump the old gazoline in my (or wife's) vehicule when thank is close to empty and fill up with high test petrol. Then start with a fresh mix for the OB's. Been doing this forever without any problem.

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't remember if I used Stabil in this gas or not which is why I syphoned it out of my RV. Now I'm just trying to find a good use for it. My cars have fuel injection so I dont want to put it in them. That leaves the lawn mower and the OBs.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

pour some into a clear glass container and let it settle; is it shows a brown layer at the bottom it's called phase seperation and you don't want to use it anywhere. I wouldn't risk my OB. For me, it would take a long time to use 7 gallons in the lawn mower. I'd put it a few gallons at a time in the car. I doubt a paper filter will do much. Add some stabil now and keep it out of the sun.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dump a bottle of Sea Foam in it and let it sey in for a day or so. It helps remove the moisture from the fuel.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I have used this product in an industrial setting and does what it claims, it restores the volatility of the fuel to post processing condition. Your amount of fuel is pretty small to make it a viable alternative but this stuff works.

http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm

For your amount I would mix it 50/50 with fresh fuel and use it in the lawnmower.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

pour some into a clear glass container and let it settle; is it shows a brown layer at the bottom it's called phase seperation and you don't want to use it anywhere. I wouldn't risk my OB. For me, it would take a long time to use 7 gallons in the lawn mower. I'd put it a few gallons at a time in the car. I doubt a paper filter will do much. Add some stabil now and keep it out of the sun.

Phase seperation is not brown, that's crude and varnish from your tank. :D:D

ward cleaver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dingbat - Actually varnish is what I am really trying to avoid. Do you mean solid varnish that has settled to the bottom of the tank or varnish that is stuck to the inside of the tank or possibly varnish that is held in suspension in the gas? Is there any way to get the varnish out of the gas?

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used this product in an industrial setting and does what it claims, it restores the volatility of the fuel to post processing condition. Your amount of fuel is pretty small to make it a viable alternative but this stuff works.

http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm

For your amount I would mix it 50/50 with fresh fuel and use it in the lawnmower.
Ditto. PRI-G promotes itself as being able to help restore stale gas. I use it all the time in everything with a sparkplug. Aids keeping the gas from oxidizing (turning to varnish and gum) and in so doing increases gas mileage by needing less fuel to go the same distance because the gas isnt turning to carbon biproducts. Look it up online: PIR-G. More money than sta-bil but a serious fuel additive.