Gouge in keel! Noobie needs help!!

Ofc Noobie

Cadet
I just bought my first boat, and I think that the small gouge was made worse after I took her out the first time. The gouge is only about three inches long, and one inch wide. But, I think I may be taking on water from this gouge. Would Marine Tex fill this gouge? If nothing else, would it at least get me through the rest of the season? Or do I need to have it refiberglassed before I use her? Any help/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appriciated!
Aug18_001.jpg

Aug18_002.jpg

Aug18_003.jpg

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gouge in keel! Noobie needs help!!

Based on the pics, IMO, that will need to be reglassed. There appears to be fibers showing through beneath the gelcoat.
Aside from reglassing that gouge, there is another problem to think about and that is how the gouge got there in the first place. You may want to look at your trailer at the rear and find out if there needs to be a roller or some other form of protection for the boat while loading and unloading at the ramp.
Also, what style of bumper is used at the winch for a bow stop? How far below the bow eye is that gash, could it be from the bumper not being correct?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That hit something hard to do that much damage. to properly repair it it needs to be ground back to make sure there is no additional cracking or delamination that could cause your hull to fail then lay up new glass fair and sand and reapply gel coat

jonesg

Admiral

I would grind it til I got to fresh glass, go inside and grind wider to accept a couple of layers of glass mat. Then come outside and fill with resin/cabosil and chopped glass putty, grind flush and sand it smooth, then paint.

Or just patch the inside and apply marinetex, seems like a ripoff to me that stuff.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can patch it to get through the season, but it will all have to be ground out to fix it right.

You're probably taking on water from this. So you gotta do something.

Good luck.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I know these guys probably know exactly what they are talking about, but I would like to offer an alternative. This has worked on an old Glassply I owned and on the Bayliner 20? I have now. Bondo Glass from The Home Depot. My Bayliner had several gouges like this in the bottom from the previous owner running it up on shore, that?s why he sold it to me cheap. It was taking on a little water. This stuff is great and has fiberglass strands in it. Just follow the directions. My boat doesn?t take on any water now and the stuff dries like a rock and adheres to the boat like it was original.

Ofc Noobie

Cadet

Thanks for the help everyone. I think that I'm going to try some Marine Tex to get me through the remainder of the season, and then get it professionally repaired during the off season. If anyone in my area has any recomendations on who to go to, I'd love to hear! Speaking of, does anyone know roughly how much this will cost?

Thanks again for everyones help!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the help everyone. I think that I'm going to try some Marine Tex to get me through the remainder of the season, and then get it professionally repaired during the off season. If anyone in my area has any recomendations on who to go to, I'd love to hear! Speaking of, does anyone know roughly how much this will cost?

Thanks again for everyones help!
The Tiger Hair or Glass Bondo will work just as well as Marin-Tex and is half the price.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used some bondo-glass to attempt to fix the many holes in the cap of my project where it was attacked by a previous owner with a drill.

bon-271.jpg

This stuff is a body filler with added glass fibers, it is not a fiberglass resin bulked up to a paste. After allowing it to cure and some testing I had some severe doubts as to it's structural strength after finding I could easier chip and break it by light hand pressure. I ended up grinding it all out and going back with some proper peanut butter to which I added glass fibres for strength (al la Oops super-duper peanut butter) - I am much more confident about those repairs now. The bondo stuff I will save until last to use as fairing compound to smooth the cap before painting it.

The Tiger hair I can't comment on, I have never tried it, but I do have a much better opinion of the manufacturer than I do the bondo brand...

I am with slasmith and jonesg; grind it back, build back up with cloth/mat and proper glass resin, finish it out with some PB and grind back to the original hull profile and paint.

Taking your time, you should be able to easily complete this in a weekend. just do some more research here, ask a few questions and we'll help you get it done. It'll be done right the first time and will last for years. :)

Last edited:

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, that 'small gouge' is a big freakin hole in your boat. I think those chunks inside the 'gouge' is foam, not glass. Can you confirm this? Push inside the hole with a screwdriver.. does it continue up into the hull or is it hard and solid?

foodfisher

Captain

I vote Marine tex per instructions built up to original shape. Then a keel guard and forget it.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I am surprised to here that Lightnig was able to chip the Bondo Glass with his hands. He must be like a modern day Tarzan.
When it cured on my boats the end result was a rock like hare substance that adhered to the boat. Possibly the preparation was not properly performed by the the Tarzan. I would think it would be hard for a company to continue to sell such a poor product. Well anyway it has worked flawlessly for me on the bottom of my boat and it has not chipped or fallen out of the repaired areas. Nevertheless, your Idea about having it professionally repaired is the best way to go about it.:rolleyes:

GOOD FISHING TO YOU ALL

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geez, I didn't realize that sharing my observations and opinions gained from direct experience would offend anyone. I certainly didn't think I would be belittled for it.

Thanks for putting me right, I'll keep my comments and offers to assist others to myself from now on.

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

opinions are just that opinions RELAX no one meant to offend you im sure.. there are just alot of guys who have their prefered way of doing things and their experiences works for them... Personally if i dont know what im doing i study, i take all information given the good, the bad, and the ugly, and make a decision from there. no one way is right all the time!
personally if i didnt know alot about glassing or about boat then the best thing to do is have someone fix it correctly! if for nothing more to know its fixed right! and for the peace of mind

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Lightnig- didn?t mean anything by this, we all have our opinions and I respect your input and opinion. Just lightening up the topic with a little joking around. My apologies if I offended you.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I took it badly, and I was offended, but it wasn't your fault. THe last few days at work have been a real challenge so I took it far worse than I should have.

So, Thank you.

And my apologies to you, the original poster for souring the thread, and everyone else. My reaction had no place here.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Lightnig, no problem, we all have crappy days at work, and I really can be annoying sometimes when I am joking around. Anyway the weekend is here and we all get to start working on our boat projects and have some fun, or not. My latest project is denting my budget by 750.00. Ugg. :eek:Lower unit on my boat/ about 50# meticulous lift into place by myself. Ouch. :(Beets the best day at work though!!!!:)

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dang everyone here is so civil!!! haha I don't have a job anymore so I rarely get angry. But I know what you are talking about with the bondo glass. First hole I repaired was a small screw hole and it popped out. The second one I did I used a big drill bit and used it to bevel or make a countersink in the hole then filled it with bondo glass. Sanded smooth and it will not come out or crack.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry to barge in but I'm also a noob and I've been fixing up a 67 Glasspar Avalon. Well mechanically I think it's ready for a test run until today I noticed a pin hole of light coming up from the keel in front. From the outside it looks like a tiny chip maybe a half of a pea from the inside it looks more like a pencil eraser. Anyway I poked around it from the outside with a pencil and it doesn't appear to be a hole just a spot where it's chipped off everything except a thin layer of glass. And yes I going to need a keel guard someone like to beach this thing a lot. So what should I patch that with?? It's the little chip on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 0

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

rspar, you're sure to not butt in if you make your own thread