Transom Repair

metalgear

Recruit
Hello, I have a 18' 1989 Bass Hawk boat that has a rotten transom. I have done some reseach (thanks to all post, pictures and replies) and have a good idea what I'm getting into. However, I need some advise to help me determine weather I should remove the top of boat by cutting the top off about 3' up from the transom or cut the back out to expose the wood. I first wanted to cut the top off and go into from the inside but looks more difficult vs. going from the outside due to the design. Also, both sides of the rear angles toward the front. Is this part of the the transom or is the flat portion where the motor is mounted just part of the transom? First time major boat repair for me so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Please see attached pictures. Thanks to all.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom Repair

Do you have a picture (no attachments of pics)? I drilled out all my rivets and busted the seal to take my top off so it would be easier to work on the transom. Afterwards, I cut the top deck on the very top of the transom (pics are in my tread in my sig below) so I could break the seal of the spashwell and the transom.

Obviously, if it were me, I'd try and save the outside fiberglass skin and work from the inside as that's how I did it.

Hope that helps.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom Repair

Oh, by the way, I didn't completely remove my top...just slid it forward a couple of feet to give me room to work. If you have the means, then you could completely remove it but I don't have the space or man power.

Also, welcome to iboats! :) There are a lot of really good people here.