evinrude 5hp

richard-rmp

Recruit
hi there i wonder if anybody can help me
ive just purchased a evinrude 5hp
model no be5dresr serial no 2440137 ,could anyone tell me the year as i cannot seem to find it ? and also if this engine is a derestricted 6-8hp ?
the engine is running very slugish and will not start unless easy start is used , i havent had it serviced as yet (only got it today ) but i can see that the plate on top of the carb has cracked and somebody has put silicone across it, could this be the problem ?
iwould be gratefull for any help on this topic thanks richard

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 5hp

hi there i wonder if anybody can help me
ive just purchased a evinrude 5hp
model no be5dresr serial no 2440137 ,could anyone tell me the year as i cannot seem to find it ? and also if this engine is a derestricted 6-8hp ?
the engine is running very slugish and will not start unless easy start is used , i havent had it serviced as yet (only got it today ) but i can see that the plate on top of the carb has cracked and somebody has put silicone across it, could this be the problem ?
iwould be gratefull for any help on this topic thanks richard

B = Made in Belgium
E = Evinrude
5 = 5 Horsepower
DR = Derated Rope Start
ES = 1990
R = Any mid-year changes, (if there were any).

I'm an old motor guy and don't have the answer about the new-fangled carburetor.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Plastic top to carb?
Could well affect running if cracked.

I think replacement is a modified type (not sure though)

5 Hp not listed for parts in Shop.Evinrude.com. Possibly only sold in Europe. You in UK? Can suggest parts suppliers if you are.

It's probably possible to uprate it to 6hp but def not to 8hp. Different carbs AND different crankcases at least between 6 and 8 models.

May only be a restrictor limiting it to 5 hp.

richard-rmp

Recruit

hi thanks guys for your info very much appreciated .
i have posted another thread with just one more query thanks richard

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

i have posted another thread with just one more query thanks richard
Disappeared into that great garbage bin in cyberspace then!

May be better to add it to this anyway at least if its about the same engine

richard-rmp

Recruit

hi vic yes it is a plastic top to the carb , i am in the uk , just one other thing i need to know, the enginge has stood on its stand for 24 hours and there is a small pool of oil and water mix from the exhust more oil than water is this normal tnaks richard