what's the best way to get rid of spoiled gas?

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My tin can ended up with a LOT of water in a storm and ended up sinking. (water crashing over the transom) Anyway, the tanks went down with it and I think they got water in them.

So now I'm stuck wondering what's the most ethical way of disposing bad gas?

Will my marina take it?

dwco5051

Commander
Re: what's the best way to get rid of spoiled gas?

Gas and water separate pretty quickly. Siphon or pump it into containers that are clear or somewhat translucent. After sitting a few minutes you should see a distinct seperation of the water and gas. Pour off the gas slowly being careful not to get the water remixed. I would not use this gas in a modern boat engine since it more than likely had ethenol in it which would absorb some of the water.

All the questionable fuel I end up with I burn up in the lawn mowers or tractors. Even old premixed two cycle stuff that smells like fresh varnish gets used. I think that you could feed a late 1940's Farmall H a mixture of road tar and kerosene and it wouldn't miss a beat. I also will throw a gallon or so of premix in my old Jeep when I fill up if I have some to get rid of. I would not try this in anything new since it could mess up the emission sensors and throw the computer off.

I remember straining all the gas we bought back in the outbacks of Ontario through a funnel lined with a chamois to remove water from it before we mixed it and put it in the outboards.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be careful about what container you put that in, any clear container that is not made of glass will melt from contact with the gas and you will have a big mess on your hands. If its plastic and not made of polmer than it will melt. Don't use milk / juice contaniers or anything like that. Gas evaporates quickly as well so if you do put it in an open container (one that won't melt) than you can leave it out on a hot sunny day and see where that gets you.

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so in other words, letting it evaporate or using it in some older utility machine are the only options.

Thanks for the advice. I kinda wish there was some other alternative....

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can call around and see if you have a local hazardous waiste recycling facility nearby.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

How much are we talking about?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

This would be the time I would perform an experiment. Put 1 gal in a pan where nothing or no one can have access to it and monitor the evaporation rate. I would assume like water that surface area would play a role. As well as temperature. This is a constant question that gets asked on here and no one really has an enviromentally safe answer. Ususally if its just old I run my old mower on it. But I have yet to deal with the water in the gas issue.

Could you put a bottle of gas dryer (Heet) in the tank and let sit a few days then run in a mower. I have the perfect 30 yo murray push mower that is perfect for experiments like this.

Briand3096

Cadet

The junk yards out my way run all the old gas through a filter system and use it in the lot cars. The may take it off your hands for a small fee.

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you are going to use the gas, dump a bottle of Sea Foam in it. $9.99 a bottle at advanced auto.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've been running leftover gas in my mowers & snow blowers for years. They don't seem to mind...

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow where do you live, I could give away bad gas all day long here. I just put it in the lawn mower, I have put it in my car too if it does not smell too bad. You can put premium in your car to mix with it if old, and drygas to deal with any water still in it. It is performance engines and boats that run constant WOT throttle that have an issue with gas. Any lawn equipment or golf cart, etc, has low compression and will burn gas long as it is not varnish.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I have been trying to destroy that old mower for years without any luck. I really hate the thing so it has become my mission to experiment on it. I run old stale gas and used motor oil whenever I got it and no air cleaner. I haven't succeeded yet,

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I take mine out to the gun range and place it in a milk jugs. I then set a lit birthday candle nearby and back up 100 yards or better then let the lead fly....
Kaboom....Nice mushroom cloud:eek:

Ps This is somewhat dangerous

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

My tin can ended up with a LOT of water in a storm and ended up sinking. (water crashing over the transom) Anyway, the tanks went down with it and I think they got water in them.

So now I'm stuck wondering what's the most ethical way of disposing bad gas?

Will my marina take it?

Dump it down a storm drain, then recycle 37 plastic Wal-Mart bags, say three Hail Gaia's, and go and sin no more.:p