402 Lower reinstallation

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Serial 7007134.The rod at the front that's connected to the tilt lock, how do you line that up with the plastic piece on the shift rod on the lower unit? Does the drive shaft need to be greased? It doesn't look like stainless and it's rusting.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: 402 Lower reinstallation

Serial 7007134.The rod at the front that's connected to the tilt lock, how do you line that up with the plastic piece on the shift rod on the lower unit? Does the drive shaft need to be greased? It doesn't look like stainless and it's rusting.

No alignment is required, the ramp on the plastic piece pushes the rod up when the lower unit is in reverse or neutral. In forward the ramp should be out of play. I always grease the driveshaft splines, just go easy on the grease, more is not better, you can create a hydraulic lock in the end of the crank and there is no way that driveshaft is going in. Just grease it lightly.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oops, I got it in the hole. Now I know why the tilt release isn't working now. maybe I can manually rotate the lock and pull it out. Thanks for the response.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I see now. The loose plastic retainer is supposed to stay in the leg when the lower is removed. Got it now.