Problem with Motor Overheating

GaryLStubbs

Recruit
I have a 1983 150 Mariner. The heads have just been replaced, the thermostat has been replaced, the waterpump has been replaced and the alarm still goes off after running for a few minutes. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

GaryLStubbs

Recruit
Re: Problem with Motor Overheating

Another question - is it possible there is a short somewhere and how would I go about locating it. The mechanic I have been using seems very competent, but so far he's been unable to pin down the problem. He went with the obvious at first - thermostat and water pump and from there to the heads. Any ideas on what it could be. I just got it back this weekend and within five minutes of running the alarm sounded. I would take it down to an idle for a few and the alarm would subside. As soon as I rev it back up the alarm would sound. Looking for any suggestions on what to check. Thanks

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

If the engine is not hot then the sensor may be bad.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

As Corm said, put your hand on the block. Those motors normally run about 140*, and you can hold your hand on the head for several seconds. If it is overheating, check the poppit valve (lower starboard side of block). The other alternative is maybe a piece of the old impeller clogged the water tube. Drop the LU and stick a hose in the thermostat hole and maybe it will clear out.