Hello fellow Starcraft fanatics

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice
Recently joined the Starcraft cult by way of an old mid 70`s Islander with 165 hp merc. What kind of speed is everybody getting out of that combination?

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hello fellow Starcraft fanatics

efgolden can?t help you with the speed but congrats on the Starcraft.

Jeff.

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you wvmedic for the cordial welcome....much obliged

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Cool, an Islander:D Fellow Cuddy Cabin boat!! Let's see some pics and welcome! FWIW - I was told the top end on my old 18' Starchief with 120 merc i/o was something like 35.

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply wrfalpacos have had a lot of boats over the years but never an aluminum cuddy ...had a Reinell one time with 165 merc that ran very decent ...just figure with aluminum hull it has to get a lot better. Haven`t even seen this boat yet ,up on lake Erie with no trailer ,found trailer and going through it now wheel bearinggs and trying to figure out brake cylinders part numbers....dealer says transom seems sound and deck has been replaced ...traded in on new boat ...........we will see....will post pictures after possession.

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice

by the way wrfalpacas I am also in Indiana ,South of Indianapolis outside Mooresville I plan on running the Ohio and Tenneessee rivers ,grew up on the Missouri river North of Kansas City and have run the Missouri from Gavins Point SD to ST.Louis twice ..... the Missouri is dirty and dullsviie compared to the Tennessee,beautiful scenery all along the Tennessee. If this boat is reparible and I can fit it into the chaos of the unbeliveable list of home disasters that have occured in the last two months I will post pictures of a trip or partial segment. I lived on a lake for ten years and can`t stand going around in circles ,had a Carlson tunnel hull on the lake but went to the river for the weekends for a cuddy .

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Recently joined the Starcraft cult by way of an old mid 70`s Islander with 165 hp merc. What kind of speed is everybody getting out of that combination?

congrat's efg, my islander is a dent free 69 21 120.
replaced all wood but still want to replace the transom wood and rebuild the engine.
sorry can't help with speed, actually would like to know myself.
your going to love the boat.

Huron Angler

Admiral

efgolden congrats on the islander...my favorite boats:D

I'd have one to work on but my garage is not big enough, gonnahave to settle for a 16' SS or 15' Holiday for now:).

Is she still in Lake Erie? Can't wait to see some pics of the restoration. Good luck!

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Elfgolden, about the brake parts, check out http://www.championtrailers.com/ at least for reference.. I think I pm'd you about my speed of about 32-35 on the pitot speedo and I think that was @ 3800-3900rpm but that was with a 1.98r drive and a 23p prop ( which I still need to find my excel graph with 1.98-1.65 19p 21p 23p) prop and drive calculations.. Also that was with a camshaft from a 74 Chevy Nova.. I'm hoping to hit 40, my boat wasn't running as good then, compared to when I had a GPS Speedo on my Chartplotter. BTW keep your eye out on Ebay for a handheld marine GPS, also new PDA's that do maps, I think you can download Marine maps to them, to .. at least my nephew mentioned about 1 i think.

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice

No,I picked it up a couple weeks ago ,spent a lot of time in the water and bad corrosion on the transom.I talk about a little on Gnarly and Kainon`s threads. Damage looks just like Gnarlys pictures;will post a few pics sometime ....soon as I can find a 12 year old boy to show me how to do it.

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice

Kainon I bought a Garmin StreetPilot III off ebay from a guy that loaded Garmins Inland Rivers of the Eastern United States ...all the Mississippi,Ohio Tennessee Tombigbee waterway , Black Warrior river to Mobile Bay ,Mongahela and more.Kind of gives you a chartplotter for 130.00. Forgot to mention the Illinois from Lake Michigan,this willgive you almost half of the Great Circle Route ....Google the Great Loop Cruisers Association if you`re interested,they have some great stuff including real time pictures and information from guys enroute now and picture diaries from past cruises. I`m not saying I`ll run the whole 5000miles but I`ll run a lot of it and in an old Islander to boot .I will post a lot of pictures of that.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ed , I get 32.5 mph on my Gps out of my 221V islander with the 170 hp 3.7litre at WOT 4400 rpm, 1.84 ratio if that helps (two 220 lb guys, 3/4 tank of fuel and full of fishing gear , downriggers etc)

efgolden

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Gnarly and what pitch prop are you running?

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have 21 foot chieftain similar to a islander with new 135 hp gm 4cylinder.
1.98 ratio outdrive
I run a 15 pitch 4 blade prop, I get @ WOT 28 mph @ 3900 rpm, 35 gallons fuel, 25hp kicker, 4 POBS ( full size adults 180+lbs each), 25-30 lbs lead fishing weights, and other fishing gear, 2 batteries, I am at sea level.
I cruise at 2800 rpms, 20 mph is where I seem to get my best fuel economy. I rarely ever run it over 3,000 rpms.
You should get 30 or better cruise speed and probably 35ish topend, all depend on your prop, elevation, and how much gear you have on board.