tub hook up

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys one more question from a guy new to boating...I have a 89 Bass Tracker, 20 footer with a 40 hp Johnson that I have completely rebuilt from the tubes up. My Grandkids who are adults (18 & Up) want to go tubing....Is it safe to hook the rope to the two cleats (or eyelets) on the rear of the tubes? Will the tubes take the stress of a tub with all the snatching and jerking that goes with tubing...Don't want to end up with a boat at the bottom of the lake!
Thanks

pugbro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: tub hook up

Thanks for all the links but non of them address my concern...I have a pontoon boat not a speed boat...will the "eyes" on the back of the tubes hold up for tubing???

lowell7963

Seaman Apprentice

Absolutely, that is where I tie my pull rope to. I would not tie it to the pontoon fence, rail or even cleat attached to the deck.

I assume your eyelets are at the top rear of the pontoon as mine are, and are very substantial.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The eyes are very substantial but what they are welded to is only .080 and you stand a good chance of tearing them out, they don't like side force.

I would use the ones on the deck, they are tied into the frame of the boat and are a strong as the hook itself.

Can't recall what you call it but there is a rope you hook between the deck hooks with a pully on it that you tie the tow rope too.

hvachillbilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have eyelets right on the transom of a 2003 fishin barge they puul a tube real well with harness