OMC Stringer Impeller replacement Tips??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libertad

Cadet
I am getting ready to replace the impeller in my 83' OMC V6 stringer I/O. I have this kit http://www.masonmarine.net/product_info.php?products_id=241 and would like to get some tips from those of you that have done this before. Is there anything else I should get before doing this or is this kit sufficient for what I am doing? Is there anything I should check while I have it opened up? Again I have never done this before and know that any helpful tips I can get here may make this job easier.

Thanks in advance for any useful info.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: OMC Stringer Impeller replacement Tips??

Do you have access to a manual? With the proper manual and taking your time to understand the process, you shuold not have any problems.

Libertad

Cadet

Yes I do have the manual and plan on following the diagram. I was just trying to for see any possible problems I may encounter and any tips on making the process easier as the manual does not have a step by step on how to change it but more a schematic. I would hate to forget to do something or line something up wrong.

futz

Banned

get the one with the housing.

futz

Banned

have a table or a large cooler or chair ready on the port side.

on a trailer lower the bow as far as it will go, and raise the drive 1/2 the way up.

Remove the very top bolts, and the exhaust and the lower will come down. place it on the table and tie it to the swim platform. be carefull of the cable don't pull on it plenty of play in the cable.

remove the 4 bolts facing u in the upper drive from the bottom and the whole waterpump and shaft will come out. you could raise the drive a little more to make it easy, i sit on a milk crate when i pull the pump.

Copied and pasted from another post i replied to

Libertad

Cadet

have a table or a large cooler or chair ready on the port side.

on a trailer lower the bow as far as it will go, and raise the drive 1/2 the way up.

Remove the very top bolts, and the exhaust and the lower will come down. place it on the table and tie it to the swim platform. be carefull of the cable don't pull on it plenty of play in the cable.

remove the 4 bolts facing u in the upper drive from the bottom and the whole waterpump and shaft will come out. you could raise the drive a little more to make it easy, i sit on a milk crate when i pull the pump.

Copied and pasted from another post i replied to

Thanks

johno71

Cadet

So this work can be performed without removing the entire drive from the boat. I have the Seloc manual and it says the entire drive must be removed. This seems like a lot of extra work.

Bondo

Staff member

So this work can be performed without removing the entire drive from the boat. I have the Seloc manual and it says the entire drive must be removed. This seems like a lot of extra work.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard John,...

I think this problem has probably been repaired in the last 2 years...

Please use the archives for Learnin',...
Not posting too...

thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.