How to dock your boat

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I have a problem docking my boat. I need some advice. I normally approach this dock on my port side w/ the bow at about 30-45 degree. My kid jumps off the bow (closed) and ties us up when were about 1ft away from the dock. At this point the stern of the boat starts going out as the boat want to be perpendicular to the dock. Any advice?

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to dock your boat

What kind of slip knot do you use to release the line tied at the dock end as your underway?

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I do the same but use prevailing winds and currents to decide where to tie up first or what side of the dock I go to. Same thing for loading. I approache slowly, angled or even aimed away from the trailer, then I shut the engine off, trim up and float onto the trailer. this meatod works VERY well for my wife and I. Knock on wood, we never have problems loading or docking. At the same time I see others struggle with it every day.

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could you slack your bow line? Maybe this helps keep the bow from turning into the dock and therefore your stern says along side long enough to get a line in place.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

we come in at an angle and tie off the bow--one of us gets out and throws the other a rope at the stern and pull in to the dock

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With the dock on your port side and the bow tied, turn the wheel to port and put the drive in reverse. Don't give it too much throttle, but give it a little and she should pull the stern towards the dock. Just make sure the bow line is well tied and nobody is touching it.

Don't try this if you're greater than say 45* to the dock because you'll never get it around. Once you have someone on the dock tho, you should pull away and approach again and throw the person on the dock the lines.

Moody Blue

Captain

Taught to me by my cousin who has literally grown up in a boat.
A very simple and effective method that makes you look like a pro.

1) Approach the dock at a very slight angle (bow in, stern out 15-30*). Need to judge wind and current in determining the approach to the dock and compensate accordingly (experience).

2) Just as the bow is approaching the dock, turn the motor fully towards the dock and put it into reverse and give a little throttle.

3) The forward motion will continue for a little bit bringing the bow in tight to the dock while at the same time the motor will pull the stern right up to the dock and stop the forward motion. With a little practice you will be able to get the boat to stop right parallel against the dock. Nobody needs to jump out until the boat has fully stopped along side the dock.

Remember, you have no control of the boat unless it is in gear.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

moody blue that is how i do it .it works every time no problems was taught that way by my dad when i was young.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i boat quite a bit alone. i approach the dock, at the closest angle possible. i have a very long bow line. i throw it over the dock cleat (not tie it) take the tale end to the helm. i can then, play in or out the bow line as needed, while i get the stern in place. then i can use the rest of the line to throw over the other dock cleat, and temp secure the boat. never turn off the engine until you are secured to the dock.

also have a boat hook on board makes docking easier.

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is a link to spring line use.

http://www.cruising.sailingcourse.com/docking.htm

In my opinion the use proper use of spring lines is one of the most crucial aspects of boating. Once you see how it works and the various ways to use the lines you will think all the problems of the past are really silly.

This is what separates the wheat from chaff when manoeuvring around docks, piers and other boats.

When others see you doing this and they are struggling, you will be the envy of the dock.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

in a safe area learn to use reverse, bringing your bow to a 45 degree angle to the dock..turn the wheel hard to port put it into reverse..this will have the stern heading backwards..but now, the stern is heading into the dock..tap it into forward ,not before you turn the wheel hard to starboard..again your going forward but now the boat is coming alongside the dock..parallel..if need be tap reverse again with the wheel hard to port..then again into foward..hard to starboard..practice this maneuver..and soon you'll be a pro..if you have wind off the dock,blowing you away..use the spring line from aft to foward..holding the stern in place while you bring the bow to dock.

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It depends upon the conditions but one universal rule is that having people jump out of the boat or grab pilings etc is a bad idea and a good way to have someone hurt badly.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I will add my vote to the others who recommend approaching the dock slowly at as shallow an angle as possible. Then when the bow is inches from the dock, turn the wheel TOWARDS the dock and shift into reverse and apply a SHORT burst of throttle. This action will stop forward motion and swing the stern parallel to the dock.

Then have your crewmember disembark and tie up first which ever end of the boat is being more influenced by the wind or current.

Practice it a few times at a vacant dock. Works like a charm.

ThrashN

Seaman Apprentice

Great info in this thread. I've learned somthing and being fairly new at this boating thing everything is a big help to me.
Thanks to all that posted

QC

Supreme Mariner

If you do have a partner helping with dock lines, remind him/her to step off lightly so their "jump" to the dock does not push the bow or stern out after nestling her perfectly up to the dock . . . ;)

Jeep Man

Commander

Been doing it, as long as I can remember, the way Moody Blue described. The boat sits still close to the dock and parallel. I can usually step off myself and tie up without any assistance. Great when your alone on the boat.

Bilgamesh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried the angle approach with the hard turn toward the dock and reverse throttle twice today, and it worked perfectly both times. :D

Thanks!

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the angle and reverse blip works well in low wind and current situations, however, if you have a quartering headwind it can or strong current it can be hard. Spring lines work all the time, and they also work off the stern if needed, which is much harder using just trust. :D:D

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you do have a partner helping with dock lines, remind him/her to step off lightly so their "jump" to the dock does not push the bow or stern out after nestling her perfectly up to the dock . . . ;)

Newton's Third Law of Motion. ;)

Jumping off a boat and onto a floating dock is ripe for disaster. Plus it looks as amatuerish as throwing a dockline for distance. My passenger brief includes telling there is no reason short of an emergency to jump or yell. Take it easy, enjoy yourself, I say. And yes, I am a big proponent for spring lines.