Carb problem after rebuild

denL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a '75 Evinrude 25hp. I rebuilt the carb using the Sierra kit including the float and replaced all the fuel lines with the proper hoses. I set the float accoreding to the instruction. It started but after running for 10 sec. stopped. I was able to restart a number of times but it dies after a short time. I looked at the carb where the choke butterfly is and there's a lot of gas dripping out. This is the same problem I had before I rebuilt it. Then, if I waited for a day or so, the motor would start right up and run without a problem --most of the time. I'm not sure what to do next.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb problem after rebuild

Does the engine continue to run if you pump the fuel primer bulb, acting as a manual fuel pump?

If you installed a new float needle valve which should have been included with the kit, I'd suspect that the float level is set wrong. See the following.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

denL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't try to pump the bulb so I'll adjust the float and try that if it still does the same thing. I had the float horizontal. Thanks!

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can also check to see if it's seating when you are done by blowing into the fuel inlet on the carb (I'd suggest a clean piece of hose on it over simply blowing on something like that, it's probably dirty). If the carb is right side up air should pass through, if you invert the carb and try again (with the carb upside down) air should not pass though.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

With the carb upside down the valve will be open. Your thinking about setting the float.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you turn the carb upside down, shouldn't the needle valve be closed and air should not pass?