Deck paint on a budget???

THEPATRIOT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My old Glassmaster is coming along great.The glass on the deck is very thin in spots and worn though even!I need to re coat the deck(NOW!).I want to use Durabak,but can't afford to spend that much $ right now.I need something easy to get (HD???) and that won't break the bank!Any idea's?Thanks

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Deck paint on a budget???

West marine has some stuff but it is still around $94 a gallon. I too am am looking for a good deck paint.

Andy in NY

Commander

My old Glassmaster is coming along great.The glass on the deck is very thin in spots and worn though even!I need to re coat the deck(NOW!).I want to use Durabak,but can't afford to spend that much $ right now.I need something easy to get (HD???) and that won't break the bank!Any idea's?Thanks

i used porch paint that i got from the true value down the street from me. it was only like $9 a quart or something... then i put sand in it for traction. holding up good so far.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Rustoleum has a single part truck bedliner that cost about $40 a gallon. Doesn't go on near as thick as heruliner, or durabak, but I used it on my deck before carpet and it seems durable. I got it a wally world in the automotive dept. One gallon was more than enough to do the entire deck on my 16 foot Sea Ray with 2 coats. Rolled on easily. Rustoleum also has a 2 part truck bedliner that is more expensive. I used the one part stuff.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

does that bedliner feel very rough on your feet?

I didn't use it for the finish covering. I had fiberglassed the deck and then painted it with the bedliner for additional waterproofing and then put carpet on. So I never used it just by itself. In my opinion though it would not be too rough, and actually went on pretty smooth with a regular 3/8" nap paint roller. The fiberglass surface I painted it on was kind of rough to begin with because it was CSM with no cloth over it. The problem is though that the bedliner only comes in black and gets very hot in the sun. I believe you can paint on top of it though after it cures, but like I said I just put carpet on it.

erikgreen

Captain

I've been thinking about this myself.

I'd love to put herculiner in on my boat, but it's too expensive for the moment, and I can't get it locally in any color but black, which is too hot.

I looked at floor paints, and they're ok... cheap, and about as good for a boat floor as rust-oleum paint is for the hull.

I decided to go with the rust-oleum epoxyshield paint for the floor... they have two grades in two part epoxy.. one water based, one solvent. That plus some sand for anti-skid should last a very long time, and not flake off if I get gas or lube on it. I haven't done it yet due to other issues, but I'll be using that stuff soon. Cost is about $100 for enough of the solvent based stuff to do two coats on my boat.

I've thought about using some of the spray-on bedliner, the cheap stuff, or some rubber undercoating from auto stores, but frankly I think it'd look awful, and it all comes in black too.

Erik

THEPATRIOT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would regular Rustoleum with sand/walnut shells be a bad idea for now?I WILL put the Durabak(white)down when i can afford it,but i have yo cover it for now.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Many people use regular rustoleum with sand. It has the benefit that any wear spots or such are easily repaired by just brushing on some more.

erikgreen

Captain

Hey... has anyone used walnut shells for this? I have 25 lbs I can't use for anything else :)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Well, walnut shells might be a little rough/tough on bare feet as opposed to sand...depends, I guess, on the coarseness.