trying to take off lower unit: trouble

billsnogo

Seaman
Okay, I am starting on replacing the dog clutch and forward gear, I have the REAL shop manual, and am having trouble before even taking off the lower unit :(

First, I could not believe how loose the prop was on. The only thing holding the nut on was the cotter pin, as I could spin it with my pinky..... no kidding. Then the prop had a play of at least 1/4" forward/back. I don't know what is normal, but this seemed excessive.

Well, I removed all seven bolts and the lower unit starts to drop, but will not come off the midsection? I took the pin out of the shift lever. The manual said to push the shift lever toward the power head, so I moved the easiest part of the shift lever (what the cable connected to) and pushed it all the way back toward the spark plug area.

I don't know if the driveshaft is not coming out, or if it is the shift rod. It says to not bend the shift rod, so I don't want to pry too hard, but don't know what to do.

I also have no idea what good it does to remove the shift lever pin, as I do not see how it releases the shift rod? :confused:

Can anyone clue me in? I don't want to damage anything!

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: trying to take off lower unit: trouble

did you remove the shift lever pin that is below the carbs and very hard to get at.
If not then remove your lower cowling as this makes it much easier
Also it will be easier to know what it is that you are working on.:confused:
M.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Year and make please ? Also total number of bolts remove , Pros on here will know if miss any !

billsnogo

Seaman

Sorry, it is an 87 v4 90hp

did you remove the shift lever pin that is below the carbs and very hard to get at.
If not then remove your lower cowling as this makes it much easier
Also it will be easier to know what it is that you are working on.
M.

I got the pin easiy with needle nose pliers, but don't see how that disconnects the shift lever. I tried pushing and pulling around there and nothing comes apart :confused: It seems like that pin does not hold anything on, as I don't know where to push to pull it apart. I tried on the end of the bar that the pin goes through, but it does not move. Good grief charlie brown :redface:

thanks so far :)

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there should be a small bolt that you have to unscrew to release
the shift rod
M.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

when the shift rod is off the shifter you will be able to move it a bit. if you cant move it, its still on.
Had similar problem doing first water pump last winter

billsnogo

Seaman

there should be a small bolt that you have to unscrew to release
the shift rod
M.

Thank you. The manual says to remove the retaining pin and push it off. I though there was something else holding it on. Looks like I need a brighter flashlight and a long extension to be able to get in there. :(

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Remove screw #47 Do not attempt to shift it with #47 removed--it may break.

Slide lever and pin assembly #45 off the end of shift shaft #58

The shift rod will now be released. It was held by the pin on #45

Attachments

• Shift disconnect 1987 90hp.jpg
    Shift disconnect 1987 90hp.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0

billsnogo

Seaman

Remove screw #47 Do not attempt to shift it with #47 removed--it may break.

Slide lever and pin assembly #45 off the end of shift shaft #58

The shift rod will now be released. It was held by the pin on #45

Thank you. I took another look at it today, and it looks like #45 will need to come off with the shift rod?

Mine has a bolt that goes through the side of #45 to attach it to the slide lever, and what looks like what was once a screw (but the head snapped off? :confused:) goes through it to attach it to the shift rod.

So unless the factory made the screw without a head, then some dingus snapped it off, and now I am stuck as to my next move. I am thinking about removing the bolt in #45, but it is VERY hard to reach, I would need to get a very long box wrench and MIGHT be able to slightly turn it enough until it releases.

Otherwise it looks like I need to take all the carb crap off to be able to reach the area :mad:

Why the he!! did they make it so hard to disconnect the shift rod if the impeller is supposed to be replaced yearly? Friggin A! :mad::(:mad:

billsnogo

Seaman

Nevermind. Just after I posted that, the wheels started turning and CLICK! It struck me as to my partial solution. That screw with no head is just a pin that will slide out if I push in the shift bar. The only catch was the manual said to put it in reverse, and it is impossible to push the shift bar in while in reverse, it hits the block. So I had to put it in neutral, use a bent coat hanger to pull the shift rod away from the pin, and BINGO! Lower unit was now ready to EASILY :D drop.

I noticed the fin on the bottom of the lower unit (is it the skag?) is bent sideways. I assume this will be a problem with going straight?

Onward with the fun! :p

jennyo

Seaman Apprentice

i had same motor and replaced water pump several times
to disconnect shift rod remove diaper type pin on starboard side of shift
lever and simply tap shift lever with long screwdriver and hammer
toward port side of block this will disengage shift rod from shift lever.
shift lever has a stud that slides into shift rod.
it will be easier to reinstall rod if you remove lower carb
so yo can see hole in shift rod and align with shift lever stud.
also make sure that you do not turn shift rod when removing lower unit.
curved part on top of shift rod faces front when installed correctly.

let me know how things work out

jennyo

billsnogo

Seaman

i had same motor and replaced water pump several times
to disconnect shift rod remove diaper type pin on starboard side of shift
lever and simply tap shift lever with long screwdriver and hammer
toward port side of block this will disengage shift rod from shift lever.
shift lever has a stud that slides into shift rod.
it will be easier to reinstall rod if you remove lower carb
so yo can see hole in shift rod and align with shift lever stud.
also make sure that you do not turn shift rod when removing lower unit.
curved part on top of shift rod faces front when installed correctly.

let me know how things work out

jennyo
Oh, oh, oh! I will keep you in mind if I run into more trouble :p You are now doomed!

Did you ever have the lower unit apart? I am wondering if the driveshaft socket is a must, as the soonest I can get it tuesday and I want to put it back together this weekend :redface:

jennyo

Seaman Apprentice

i never did have lower unit taken apart except for water pump and seal replacement.
the fin under motor is to correct for steering pull so leave it in the position it was in.
do not know if you need special socket for driveshaft.

jennyo