points wont stay fixed?

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice
sorry about all the ?'s im going back to school in a week and i want this motor fixed!

well tonight i replaced coils and added a ignition rebuild kit. i set the point gap to the correct distance then i turn the flywheel by hand and i can usually get a plug to spark, but then i take the fly wheel off and the points are wayyy off or touching. what did i do wrong here, they are brand new

coolguy147

Commander
Re: points wont stay fixed?

what motor do u have.

points should be set at .020 and make sure u have the tightening screw down good.

dont start motor until u get flywheel torqued down properly so we need to know what motor u have to give u the proper tightening torque

ya i start school in a week too

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

its a 66 johnson seahorse 20hp. i didnt say it cuz i posted another question about the same motor 45 minutes earlier lol.

i gapped the points at that distance. and im not starting it, im just turning the flywheel by hand w. the plugs out of the motor to test for spark.

Rick.

Captain

Do you understand the issue regarding the cam and the points? I mean no disrespect but it is important. Best of luck. Rick.

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The gap will change as you rotate the flywheel. You have to set them and measure them when the little arrow is pointing to a specific spot.

I hope that isn't too basic, but I don't know your level of understanding and it isn't always obvious.

Good luck,

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

My knowledge of boat engines is a very small step up from nothing. And im tryin my best to get info before posting ( "top secret" sticky etc). I do appreciate all the advice tho!

asdasc

No Problem, I am sure we can figure it out, just keep answering questions, and I will keep helping.
I am going to start with the real basics, so stick with me until we get it figured out.

When you rotate the flywheel, you can see the points opening and closing, right?

They should open at opposite side of the rotation. When you set the points (and measure them) you want to do it when the points are at thier most open.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes they must be set as asdasc says when the crankshaft is rotated to the correct position but if no marks evident set them when open to their widest point. Must be scrupuouly clean!

Do the clamp screw up tightly.

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

i see the arrow on the crank, but what is it suppose to point to? i think i understand what i need to do, the problem is on one of the points the adjuster screw is being stubborn. It only allows for minimal adjustment?

asdasc

I have been looking for a picture of the plate you are working on. I know I have one.

Anyway, I can't remember what it should point to, but a look at a picture will remind me.

There should be 2 screws for each set of points. One is the set screw that you tighten down TIGHT to hold everything in place, and the other is a cam that adjusts things.

Move the flywheel to where the points are most open, loosen the set screw, adjust them with the cam screw using a feeler guage (you have one, right?), then tighten the set screw. Then rotate the flywheel 180 degrees and do the same thing to the other set of points.

If you are unclear on anything I said, just ask.

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

i know what your talkin about, and i just did that. but now none of the plugs spark? before the bottom cyl had a big blue spark

i have/ can take pictures if that would make helping me easier

and a feeler gauge is the same thing as what youd use to measure a sp. plug gap correct?

asdasc

Yes, the feeler guage is the same you use for plugs, only a different one.

Plugs are .030
Points are .020

Now when you rotate it you see them open and close, right?

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

asdasc, your knowledge of boat motors amazes me! both plugs are sparking (im pretty sure they were all along but im not at liberty as to say why) and my 55 gal rubbermaid is filling up as i speak so more questions will be comming lol

asdasc

Excellent! I am glad you got it working!

2 years ago, I knew less than you. Then I got my FIRST motor. Once people find out you can get them running, they start wanting you to take all the old motors out of their garages. I have about 12 or 13 now, and have about half running. Sometimes I have time and $$ for buying parts, the rest of the time I just think about fixing them.

Good luck.

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

alright so both plugs have real good sparks, i want to see if the engine will turn over if i put a tiny amount of gas in the cylinders. but i dont have the carb on, is this safe?

asdasc

I have never done it. If you do try it, have a fire extinguisher nearby. I don't think it is worth the risk. I guarentee that if you have compression, spark and fuel, that it will fire.

If you have a compression guage, you can measure the compression. Otherwise, put your thumb over the spark plug hole and you can feel it. Be careful not to get your thumb sucked INTO the hole, it hurts.

Did you rebuild the carb?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't bother trying to start with no carb, It wont tell you much. You know you have spark and if you put fuel into cylinder it will fire. But it won't run or tell you if its running right. Do what asdasc said and go ahead and check compression. I'll be honest that I do the thumb compression test sometimes as well (and I have a tester). It will only tell you if you have compression and not much else. But, after everything is together and if it runs
pretty well the I have skipped the test altogether. Not something I recommend to others but I have some motors that I really don't wan't to know what the compression is because then it will worry me and I'll have to fix it. Kinda like my old dodge work truck, I finally unhooked the oil pressure gauge because all I did was stare a 15 psi of pressure and worry. It's a kind of a piece and it runs great now that the guage is unhooked (LOL).

thanks very much for the information on the points setting. You can probably can tell I ain't no darn genius but I did not know that you had to loosen the stupid set screw to do it. I am damn sure this is going to help me. I wonder what else I have missed. On a lot of the instructions they figure we know or I know what the hell they are doing. And I haven't a clue. Thank again the Finnish genius and quit your damn laughing!!!