Bow stop bracket modification

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
This is a pic of my old winch stand/bow stop configuration:

attachment.php

This is my current winch stand/bow stop configuration:

attachment.php

As you can see by comparing the above two pics, I re-mounted the winch underneath the bow stop bracket. I did this so that the bow eye would be below the bow stop.

I would like to re-mount the winch back to its original position and found these brackets that I think will help me do this and still be able to have the bow eye under the bow stop. Here are the brackets:

5142.jpg

I would mount them to the existing extenions of the horizontal bow stop bracket that my bow stop is now installed onto or I would cut those extensions off and just drill holes in the side of the horizontal bow stop bracket and use them to attach the bracket to the side of the horizontal bow stop bracket.

Here is a pic of a similar setup of how I think it would look in the end, albeit my winch post stand is different and this setup has the bow eye above the bow stop, but I included it to show how the brackets would be used on my horizontal bow stop bracket.

t1.jpg

Do you think this would work? It sure seems like it should. I really don't want to buy a whole new winch stand for $150 when I can buy a pair of brackets for $20 and modify the one I have now. Comments?

Thanks.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bow stop bracket modification

Looks like those brackets would have to be about 12 inches tall for it to work.
How about mounting the winch to the vertical post-that would leave the winch in approximately the same place as it is now,but would put the lock lever up were it's accessible.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like those brackets would have to be about 12 inches tall for it to work.
How about mounting the winch to the vertical post-that would leave the winch in approximately the same place as it is now,but would put the lock lever up were it's accessible.

Thanks dlngr. Not sure I see the same thing you do. Looking at the 2nd pic, imagine those brackets mounted where the current bow roller is and the winch mounted on the top and rear of the horizontal bracket like it is in the 1st pic. I would most likely have to lower the vertical stand some since the brackets will raise the bow stop higher. I would also thread the strap so it came off the bottom of the spool. The goal here is to get the bow roller higher so the winch strap can go underneath it and attach to the bow eye. BTW, the distance between the top and bottom holes is 6".

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

O.K. What is the reason for moving the bow stop higher?
2009_0820joyce0111-1.jpg
[/IMG]

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I see what you are getting at. How would I mount the winch to the stand vertically? The vertical part of the stand is a tube.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Same way it's mounted now,but with longer bolts ,and you'd have to drill though both sides of the tube.

Bifflefan

Commander

It looks like your pretty handy with a welder, id lower the winch mount and then angle the boat side up to go over the bow eye. then cut a large enough hole in it for the strap to go through. then you can remount the winch on top.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like your pretty handy with a welder, id lower the winch mount and then angle the boat side up to go over the bow eye. then cut a large enough hole in it for the strap to go through. then you can remount the winch on top.

Hah, me a welder? Not a chance. :) This trailer and boat was bought new in 1972 by my dad...and the trailer has not been modified except my winch re-mount, installed new bunks and few other minor things. It's still in great shape, very sturdy and reliable. I'm just trying to do a few things here and there to make it safer and easier to deal with.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Same way it's mounted now,but with longer bolts ,and you'd have to drill though both sides of the tube.

Although drilling through that very rigid tube does not excite me, I will look into that possibility. If I end up doing that, I will probably buy a new winch...while this one works, it's past it's prime. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Bifflefan

Commander

I stand by my last post. if you did raise it then you can handle tilting it and makeing the hole with no problems. Look at a few other trailers then eather copy one or make your own design.
I made my own design for mine and so far it works great and everyone says it looks good.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I stand by my last post. if you did raise it then you can handle tilting it and makeing the hole with no problems. Look at a few other trailers then eather copy one or make your own design.
I made my own design for mine and so far it works great and everyone says it looks good.

Easy for you to say! :) Raising it was a simple matter of unscrewing the stop bolt on the stand, pulling the stand up higher, and then screwing the bolt back in to keep it at that height. I do not have the tools or other resources to do any real re-fabrication.

Bifflefan

Commander

Ok then, judging by the 1st pic, if you lower it a bit then bolt on those new brackets that your looking at so the bow stop is just above the bow ring then you should have the hole for the strap to pass through. then all will be good in the universe...:D

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, that was my original thinking. Thanks...I do appreciate your suggestions despite it perhaps seeming like I was not open to other ideas. :)