Raw water cooled engine in saltwater

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good evening Gents,

I'm considering a used boat ('89 Regal, 19 foot cuddy, 4.3 v6 and Alpha drive). It seems to fit my needs/wants, except the engine is raw water cooled. It has over 500 hours on it, and I'll assume that it was mostly used in saltwater here in the Puget Sound area. I, too, plan to use it exclusively in saltwater. The price seems decent at first glance, but not "decent enough" to account for an engine replacement. I suppose my question is how many hours can a raw water cooled engine last with saltwater use? I have no idea if the previous owner flushed with freshwater after use. Shall I even bother to make an appointment to see the thing, or cross it off the list? I probably know the answer already, but all opinions are welcome. Thanks! Chuck

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Raw water cooled engine in saltwater

its hard to say not knowing if the previous owned(current owner) bothered to flush the salt water out after every use or if it was moored in the salt too?
I'm sure someone here knows good tips for checking its condition so don't cross it off your list to soon and good luck mate

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My IMP with a Buick inboard/OMC drive spent some of it's life moored in a salt water berth, (with a previous owner) and now has about 780 hours on it and is still going fine, so don't rule it out immediately.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I boat exclusively in saltwater, and yes, it is corrosive. The chances are good that you can tell the condition of the engine simply by looking at it. If it relatively clean and rust free on the outside, then the owner has kept up with the maintenance, etc. If it is caked up with rust all over, ... well, you get the idea. If he keeps up the external - painting when needed, etc, it gives a good indication that he has cared for the stuff you can't see as well.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not sure why any would look at this boat. Any salt water boat of this age will have many problems with all electrcial system and will require constant maintainance. You add on top raw water cooling this boat will be a mony pit. Just save yourself a lot of money by finding an older boat that has been used on an inland lake or a boat that is set up for salt water.

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replys so far guys. Turns out I'll be driving past the area of town where the boat is located this weekend, so I may at least stop by for a look since I'll be in the area.

I look forward to more of your opinions - love this forum!