Overhaul Mercruiser 3.0

my1stboat

Recruit
hello every one...! this is my very first time here and this is my very first boat and my new problem.....: i just did an overhaul on my 1985 mercruiser 3.0 140 everything is put back right exept i cant seem to get the timing right it starts run but not to the fullest speed it runs about 10 to 15 miles per hour were before the overhaul it use to go just about 45milles per hour.... im sorry about the milles i realy dont know how to convert to knuts per hour. i have ask around and i was told that maybe i did not line up the timing gear so i opend up the gear box but there is no indication of any mark asfar as how to line it up.. there is two paint mark white and green but that realy doesnt show me much asfar as were to line it up..any way any help will be greatly appreciated thanks....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Overhaul Mercruiser 3.0

Here's a pic I took of the engine I recently rebuilt for my Mercruiser 165 (Chevy 250 engine). I believe it is the same for your 3 liter. You will see two marks - one on the crank gear, and one on the cam gear. You will need to line those two marks up:

timingmarksmall.jpg

my1stboat

Recruit

hey fishermark thank you for that info now im going to take everything apart again find the marks so i can line them up again thank you..

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Just remember that the crank turns twice for every time the cam turns. The mark is the same... just need to know that the correct position for the distributor to be timed will be 180 degrees off from that. But that's jumping ahead. Make sure your marks are lined up first.