Evinrude 9.9 ES -- Battery required

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Expecting delivery of my new-to-me '97 Evinurde 9.9 electric start four stroke, model E10FRELEVA which I shall use to power my pontoon boat during the months when my nearby lake is restricted to 10 hp or less.

Can the motor be run (for a preliminary test run on another boat) w/o the battery? I would, of course have to manually start it, but is it equipped with a magneto (or similar spark source) so that it'll run w/o a battery? And if it's capable of 'no battery' operation, can I safely assume that its charging system is protected for this mode of operation?

Shirley (may I call y'all shirley?) the owner's manual would cover this and I'm expecting it too. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row prior to its arrival.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude 9.9 ES -- Battery required

yes it will run without battery power.no, to will it cause any problems.my 90hp will run without batttery though it can be a bugger to pull start,lol.opps i just read that your 4 stoke but i dont think that makes a diff.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

manual will be you best bet, some motors have to have the battery in the system.

spunkyjr

Seaman

If you do it just make sure to wrap your electricial leads that mount to the battery with tape so you don't get it to sparking. I ran a Johnson 9.9 like that for a couple of years, had a bad starter and was to cheap to replace it. Read your manual just to be sure.