Emergency reverse - now reverse slips

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1965 MODEL 1A SERIAL NUMBER A1831787 Mercruiser outdrive on a 110 hp 4 cyl. inline. (previous owner had it rebuilt in 2000)

Last time out I was at 3/4 throttle heading to the harbor because of thunder and a storm warning. A jet ski operator came from my port side and jumped my wake, then turned and crossed my bow too close.:mad: I pulled the throttle / shifter quickly into reverse at about 1/4 throttle to stop my forward speed.

Then while waiting in ramp traffic, I had to give more throttle then normal to to back up from a stopped position.

On the trailer I tested shifting gears. I still lock the prop in forward, but it clicks and slips in reverse. Is there a shear pin in the reverse gear or key that could have broke? Forward gear is still normal.

If I operate using just forward gear until I can pull the drive, can this tear up the gear shaft?

I am supposed to take a friend fishing Sunday that I only can get together with once a year. I hate to cancel his visit if I can run now and fix reverse later.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Emergency reverse - now reverse slips

This thread can be deleted.

My mistake. My friends trailered the boat for me. They had turned on reverse lock and I tested reverse with the drive in the full up position.

I just retested with the drive down and reverse lock off. Reverse locks up fine.:D

Extra thrust must have been because of lower stern. I had four friends in a 20 footer and I usually go alone.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

cable adjustment needed

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cable adjustment needed

Actually it is working fine. Gears lock prop in both forward and reverse.

Prior to the incident at the start of the season, I adjusted everything per the specs in the service manual.

My error was that the drive was in the fully raised trailer position when I first checked it. Lowered any point within normal operational range hi or low and the gears lock into forward or reverse just fine. Testing at the dock today with just me in the boat and everything was OK. Reverse away from the dock was normal throttle position and top forward speed was 27.8mph GPS. Same as before.

Bifflefan

Commander

For me.. the best im gonna do is hit neutral for a dumb a**.
If he runs into me after that then at least he wont get chopped up...

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I would have hit him with the bow center to his body. Probably would have cut him and gut him.

I have cleaned up enough road carnage before I retired. No use having to clean it off the boat too.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i second that opinion, especially since my boat is not that nice anyway.