Your thoughts on this boat

fastestonehere

Recruit
New to the forum I am looking to buy a Sunbird Cuddy 21 foot with a 7.4 liter. The boat is a 1990 looks to be in very nice shape. the owner has a few maintance records with it

What are some of your thoughts on this boat.

I have had a few boats in my time but not this brand i see they are no longer around just looking for a fun little boat to take the family out and have somewhere for the kids to lay down. any known problems with the motor, out drive, or structure. I am unsure which outdrive this has

also has anybody here had one, how do they handle

Thanks
{my user name has nothing to do here} I drag race for a hobbie.:D

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Your thoughts on this boat

No idea about the boat...

Go here to check his price.
http://www.nadaguides.com

Have him take you out in it. If he's unwilling to do so, pass.

If the ride goes well, I'd then take it to a marine mechanic and ask him to give her a good check - tell him the situation. If he finds nothing, bingo. If he does, then you can use that to negotiate.... even if it's just what the mechanic charged. At least then you'll know what you're getting.

Sorry if you already know this... just trying to help.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

In 1990 Sunbird was owned by OMC. So, is that a 7.4L motor a Chevy 454 attached to a King Cobra outdrive? I would assume that is the case if it was referrred to as a 7.4L.

Now, many people here will tell you to run away from anything that says OMC on it. I wouldn't run. You have to consider that OMC outdrives haven't been in production since the mid 90s. So, it is getting harder to find parts and qualified mechanics. However, they are good outdrives with a good design and good durability.

fastestonehere

Recruit

In 1990 Sunbird was owned by OMC. So, is that a 7.4L motor a Chevy 454 attached to a King Cobra outdrive? I would assume that is the case if it was referrred to as a 7.4L.

Now, many people here will tell you to run away from anything that says OMC on it. I wouldn't run. You have to consider that OMC outdrives haven't been in production since the mid 90s. So, it is getting harder to find parts and qualified mechanics. However, they are good outdrives with a good design and good durability.

Thanks. this is the 454. so no know bad about the boat in general.

Thanks guys.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sunbird was an entry level boat. I have heard it was below Bayliner. That doesn?t really matter, the overall condition is important. I would ask what type of drive is on there. If it?s a King Cobra I would want the price to be real cheap. I believe the King Cobras had a short production run and are somewhat rare. Most parts can still be found but are considerably higher priced than Merc. Mechanics for these units are not always easy to find either.
Personally, I passed on an OMC boat back in February and have no regrets. I would easily pass one up again.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

if it in good condition is what matters- and it should run like a spotted ape:cool:( so fast its rarely seen)

fastestonehere

Recruit

So no hidden surprises if it runs and appears to be great shape go for it???

on another note what would be a great little cuddy to look for in the future around 22-23 foot. and above 1992-1993. any help appreciated

thanks again

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

If you can rent a 22-24 ft cuddy for a weekend do it before you plunk down the money for a used one. Actually spending a few nights on one is a lot better approach than saying wow that sure looks comfortable. However a whole lot depends on your age and definition of comfort be it a pup tent or a travel trailer with cable tv and cool air conditioning.

Luck ya'll

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

King Cobras were a short production run.The parts for the drive can be 3 times the amount of a regular Cobra.Then its really a search to find them being not much after markets parts are made for the King.It can get REALLY expensive in a hurry.
Just so you know what you are getting into....;)