Never seen this before...

gandude

Seaman Apprentice
I work at Treasure Island here in the San Francisco bay. While eating my lunch today, I noticed two asian guys fishing and watched them for awhile. One guy reeled in his line and put a soy sauce packet on his hook. 2 minutes later, he caught a big striper. I walked over and tried to converse with them however they did not speak english. I guestimate the fish was about 8lbs. The soy sauce packet was written in chinese and was chrome/silver color with bright red lettering. The guy just used an unopened packet and put the hook through 1/2" from the top.

Tip of the day?

Has anybody used this technique?

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Never seen this before...

Wow. Catching sashimi.:)

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's a new one! Fishing and seasoning at the same time. Efficient! Sounds like they improvised. Maybe the smell of the soy sauce leaking form the hook hole, combined with the silvery glint of the packet, gets the fish biting...? I googled "fishing with soy sauce packet" and just got a bunch of recipes. The only post on the first page of Google results about actually fishing was this one. :rolleyes:

I got a bunch of soy sauce packets in my refrigerator-- maybe I'll throw a few in my tackle box. Wonder if it works on lake fish? :D

gandude

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,

I would be very interested in your results. I am goig to try it as well but I nee d to get some time to do it.

Glen

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike,

I would be very interested in your results. I am goig to try it as well but I nee d to get some time to do it.

Glen

I was sorta kidding, but now I feel dared to :p

Okay, I'm supposed to go fishing with a buddy this Saturday, and I'll give it a try just for sh**s & giggles. But I won't be the best case whether it actually works or not-- with my fishing luck I could take the best lure in the world, hang some bacon on it, and still not get a nibble. :rolleyes:

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

That's a new one! Fishing and seasoning at the same time.

Muhahahahahaaaaaaa!.........hummmmmm, thats sounds interesting....I'm going to try that......I too have packets in the refer waiting for the chance to spice up the day...lol

Fish

pduquette

Ensign

LOL!!! Why do I keep thinking of the "Snipe hunt " thread on SHT ??????
Gotta go -ordering out Chinese food ......Wonder if they deliver to the beach? peter

skargo

Banned

That's a new one! Fishing and seasoning at the same time. Efficient! Sounds like they improvised. Maybe the smell of the soy sauce leaking form the hook hole, combined with the silvery glint of the packet, gets the fish biting...? I googled "fishing with soy sauce packet" and just got a bunch of recipes. The only post on the first page of Google results about actually fishing was this one. :rolleyes:

I got a bunch of soy sauce packets in my refrigerator-- maybe I'll throw a few in my tackle box. Wonder if it works on lake fish? :D

Reminds me of season shot for some reason.
http://www.seasonshot.com/Home.cfm

rolmops

Vice Admiral

In Thailand this is a common practice.The soy package is just another variation.It is often done with the aluminum foil covers of small yogurt cups and for Baracuda I have even seen the Thai fishermen using bananas with silvery spray paint and black stripes made with felt tips.
Loosing a banana or a yogurt cup lid is a lot cheaper than loosing a $5 lure.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Went fishing today and I tried the soy packets and it really works!! I caught 5 huge bass!!!

just kidding :p

I didn't catch a thing all day--not with soy sauce packets, not with nothin. I tried several other lures and live bait as well, but I was having no luck at all today. This was a new lake I never fished before, so I don't know how good it is for fishing, but I saw a couple other boats pull in something. Probably just my bad fishing skills/luck...don't take my lack of success as proof it doesn't work :rolleyes:

One thing I can tell you about fishing with soy packets, it's not easy to cast with one, even with weight on the line.

I think rolmops is right, it's not like fishing with soy packets is a secret fishing trick, it's more like a lure of opportunity-- something cheap and shiny you don't care if you lose.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Back when I tuna fished outta San Diego..
A buddy of mine made a tuna feather outta a barbie doll..Got 3 albies gaffed before she was thrashed..lol!

gandude

Seaman Apprentice

No fish Mike? Been there, done that, with everyone around me catching fish!

Going to a freshwater lake on LD weekend. I will let you know the results.

gandude

Seaman Apprentice

Back when I tuna fished outta San Diego..
A buddy of mine made a tuna feather outta a barbie doll..Got 3 albies gaffed before she was thrashed..lol!

Ah-ha.

Now we know where that plastic is coming from in the north pacific gyre. :)

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about some TacoBell sauce, always get a handfull left over.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pore custom jig-heads from a multi-mold that I modified, they fit 1/2" surgical tubing. 3" of tubing on the 2/0 jig-hook weighed 7/8oz. Dipped in glow in the dark head paint and painted the eyes red, which were beady & part of the mold. Snook at Sebastian Inlet wll tear them up, especially when sprayed with WD40. The weight is good for the strong current there and didn't hang to many on rocks. I'll try some soy sauce next time, if they open the fall season. We'll find out next week, the meeting is for the next 3 days.
Call them Craig's Masterbaits, have been offered $30 a dozen from other anglers but never have enough with me to sell but a few.

LX Kid

Ensign

Went fishing today and I tried the soy packets today. This was a new lake I never fished before,.

Maybe "lake" fish don't like the soy packets! Anyone give a try in saltwater? Might give it a try myself using it as a chum attachment to my line. Hmmm, I wonder.