can this cloth be used for my deck

Paul eagen

Seaman
Just wondering if this cloth could be used for my deck. It is 12 oz but at this price I can handle a few extra pounds. I dont know if the weave is to loose or not
BYZkLqQBGkKGrHgoH-CkEjlLl4BkTBKhVc-.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: can this cloth be used for my deck

Just wondering if this cloth could be used for my deck. It is 12 oz but at this price I can handle a few extra pounds. I dont know if the weave is to loose or not
BYZkLqQBGkKGrHgoH-CkEjlLl4BkTBKhVc-.jpg

That cloth is what they call woven roven. It should ideally be applied sandwiched between csm (chopped strand mat).

reelfishin

Captain

I'm far from a glass expert though, but my 1962 Glasspar was built almost completely out of that type of glass, no csm at all. For a deck, it should be fine, what your after is wear resistance more than adding strength. I did a few with epoxy using woven mat with good results. I used it because it was what I had and it was free at the time.

Paul eagen

Seaman

Thanks guys, I will use csm also. I can get it for less than 1.00 a sqyd. that is a third of the price of 6 oz so the 5 extra pounds it will add to the boat won't be tha awfully bad:D

erikgreen

Captain

That cloth is what they call woven roven. It should ideally be applied sandwiched between csm (chopped strand mat).

Nitpick: It's actually called "woven roving". Roving is the bundles of strands it's made from. Roving is actually used in boat work too, in a not woven form, for hand layups in corners or along edges, or in places where specific reinforcement is needed. It's also what you feed into a chopper gun along with resin to spray glass onto a mold.

Mostly us amateurs use roving that's woven into a coarse cloth, hence "woven roving". It can be used without mat with epoxy, or with mat for polyester.

In the pic is a very fine woven roving or a coarse cloth, by the way... that's a quarter. My guess is a coarse cloth.

Erik