64 9.5 lower unit bearing housing removal

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Under the base plate of the water pump there is a metal housing that holds the drive shaft seal. Under it is a gasket. How is the best way to remove that housing? Any tricks of the trade? The only way I can see is to pry it out, but I don't like doing that it might mess up the lower unit.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 64 9.5 lower unit bearing housing removal

Mine came out pretty easily....I just gently pried at it and eventually it came apart. It is made out of pretty cheesy metal though so be careful. I suppose you could try to slip a putty knife under it, but the mating surface could get damaged. Sometimes if you leave things out in the sun for a while they come apart easier. You'll get it.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that seemed like the only way to get it out. I might give it a squirt of cleaner and let it sit out in the sun and dry.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah that seemed like the only way to get it out. I might give it a squirt of cleaner and let it sit out in the sun and dry.

Nothing holds it except the gasket sticking.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it came out, but not in one piece. It was stuck like corroded stuck. Broke around the area where the bearing presses into. Two questions where do I find this part and how to remove the thin piece around the bearing holder? The part number from the Evinrude parts manual online which goes back to 1968 is 0382292. Anyone know if the 1964 part is the same?

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Funny you should ask.....I had a hell of a time tracking that part down eventually found it at Van's sports in Minnesota I think.....I'll have to check for you. The reason I needed it was I pressed in a seal that was too big for it. The seals changed outside diameter size somewhere along the line. The new one I got fit the wrong size seal, if that makes any sense.....so I have a real frankenoutboard now. I just knocked out the seal from underneath. I'll look into where I got that part. Just to be clear.....We are talking about the driveshaft seal underneath the water pump correct? There isn't a bearing on this motors...just the bushing in the gearcase housing.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah its under the water pump base plate. The seals I have look correct, they are smaller OD than the ones I put in my '55. The only parts break down I have is for a '68 model. Looks like it, but can't really tell the OD of the hole from the drawing.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HAHA they do call it a bearing housing too.....though there's no bearing....Weird!! I have a 1965, and I put in the 1968 housing no problem.... the only difference as I mentioned is that it has a bigger opening for the oil seal. So now I have to order a 1965 seal kit (for the gearcase head prop seal) and a 1968 seal kit ( for the bearing housing water pump seal). Van's Sports is actually in Grand Rapids MI, As I recall it cost me about 60-70 bucks, and it was at my door within the week. vanssports.com Hope this helps

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to locate one of the retainer plates. I am not sure of my plan of attack on the remaining pieces of the part though. It looks stuck which is why it broke. Since its pot metal, maybe I can break it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Bearing Housing Assembly is Part number is 380268. Check with sea-way.com for an exact replacement.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bearing Housing Assembly is Part number is 380268. Check with sea-way.com for an exact replacement.

I found the bearing housing assembly locally for 79 bucks. Looking at it here now looks like the drive shaft seal presses into a seal holder that is in turn pressed into the lower unit casting. Looks like the seal holder started to come out with the bearing housing assembly. It will be tomorrow before I can go get the part. Will it come with the seal holder that presses into the bearing housing assembly? If not, I need to get the rest of the bearing housing assembly off of that seal holder. There are still pieces of it stuck to the steel seal holder. Looks like the cast aluminum corroded into the steel seal holder.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There are only the bearing housing assembly and the seal #303345.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The seal is one piece....it has a metal cup, with a rubber inside and spring.

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the part and the lower unit reassembled. I have one more question. I used the 3M 847 gasket sealer. I took me a while (15-20 mins) to get all the parts together and lined up before I was able to get the screws in and clamped together. Was that too long, that sealer hardens pretty fast. It skins over really quick.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think you'll be just fine, as mine didn't have any sealer on it at all, and never leaked. I'm pretty sure the little ridges on the mating surface of the housing seal it all up pretty well, and your 3M sealer is just a bit of insurance. Does your driveshaft have a worn spot from the old seal?? Mine does, but the new seal sits slightly higher on the shaft so it is tight to the driveshaft.....I was thinking I might have to build up the shaft then mill it back to the proper diameter. Fortunately it doesn't look like that'll be necessary. Hope it all works out for you

sbump52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. Just got back home from a fishing trip. Didn't use this motor, but I hope to try it sometime this week. Had a great trip today, caught three hybrid stripers about 21-24" long and 50 sand bass between three of us today on a lake in Texas.